Dulwich library - is it open? If not, when will it?!

The click and collect service seems to be no different to the usual long-running service of requesting a book from another site or reserving a book already on loan - which operated fine before, when library staff had lots of other things to do as well. If the libraries are all staffed as b-oeuf says above it would indeed be interesting to know why it can't work now. I asked the question in my email to the library but got no reply. Incidentally while I was waiting in Camberwell library to pick up my 2 books two separate people turned up wanting to use the library and were turned away - there is a need for the library to start working again.

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed, when i read the original post. Not even had an acknowledgment!

Is that because everything is Twitter these days..

OutOfFocus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My guess is it is "Councillor Catherine Rose

> Cabinet Member for Leisure, Environment and

> Roads"

> http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgFindMember.asp

> x?XXR=0&AC=USERSEARCH&PID=24&sPC=Enter%20postcode&

> ST=Rose

I?ll email too, not on Twitter.

I just went to check the due date of the books I was finally able to collect a couple weeks back and found that

1-not everything I collected is checked out to me

2-two of the books I returned (when i collected) were renewed instead of marked returned....oddly the other 2 I returned were marked returned

I too really want to go inside the library and select books, including on a Sunday...for this click-and-collect I only ever choose books that are available at the library I want to collect from...and some of these are still not ready for me six weeks later. Maybe the availability is out of whack? Anyway really missing regular access to my library and ready for it to be as available as other ?shops?

I returned a book to Dulwich Library last week and was asked to 'swipe' it myself. Asked the staff when they would be reopening and was informed that they were open for people to return books only. I explained that it took an hour for me to order 2 books on line and that the system was poor. Was informed that I could give them a list of books I required and they could order for me. They also suggested that if I gave them an idea of the type of fiction/non fiction I would normally read, they could set up a 'mystery box/pot luck ' for me to collect.

Cllr Stephanie Cryan

Is the person we should be emailing apparently! I have a long reply from Cllr Rose that I will post below.

Dear xxxxx

Apologies for the delayed response. There has been a huge amount of correspondence to get through, but you are right to have expected a reply sooner.

Just to clarify that if you are contacting me in regards to library openings more generally in the Dulwich Area and the borough as a whole, I am not the Cabinet Member responsible for libraries. Since the new Cabinet was formed in mid September, the responsibilities for libraries now sits with my colleague Cllr Stephanie Cryan as part of the Culture portfolio.

I have passed on your comments to Cllr Cryan and the library service for a full response. Prior to the announcements over the weekend regarding a new period of England wide restrictions, plans were being finalised to roll out a phased re-opening of libraries in coming weeks, but the library service can advise you specifically about what will happen now until December 2nd and then subject to which Tier London will be placed into after this date, will determine the extent to which those plans can then be rolled out.

Libraries that would be of most local interest to the East Dulwich Forum, would be the Grove Vale Library and Dulwich Library. I have assumed that it would be one or both of these libraries you had in mind when referring to library openings.

I understand the intention was for Dulwich Library to be opened as part of the first phase of re-opening in the area, followed by Grove Vale, but again the library service can clarify this for you more accurately since the announcements over the weekend. I note your comments about the value of librarians and assistants on hand to assist children trying to catch up, a full library service would indeed be the ideal situation, this has to be balanced out with providing a Covid secure / track and trace environment for both library users and the staff, but again the library service can advise in more detail. The click and collect model is a baseline of provision that would be welcome in the first instance in as many locations as possible, alongside some libraries having a staffed provision that resembled more closely the levels of service you mentioned.

If you are a resident of Dulwich Wood Ward and a ward constituent of mine, please do forward me your full address and I can raise the issue of the Library at Kingswood House that serves the ward directly as casework.

Due to the issues with Kingswood House, the resumption of a full library service will take longer, but plans are being developed to offer services and both myself and Cllr Simmons met with the library service last week for a briefing specifically on the matter.

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/libraries/find-a-library

some are and some aren't. from the website

A phased re-opening of our libraries is now underway, starting with those which can be opened safely and in line with government advice. The following libraries are currently open with a reduced service:

Blue Anchor, Brandon, Camberwell, Canada Water, Dulwich, Nunhead and Peckham.

Please note that on entering a library you will be asked to provide test and trace information and wear a face covering unless exempt. Check our safety measures and find out more about the services we can currently offer here.

That link only gives half the story and you need to click on https://www.southwark.gov.uk/libraries/gradual-re-opening-of-library-and-heritage-services and then on the individual library to see what is available. For example, Dulwich library is not available for general browsing and borrowing, only returns, books that have been ordered and mystery book bags. I believe they also have limited access to study spaces and computers which need to be booked in advance.

Pathetic. it opened in its usual half hearted fashion for a couple of days last week but has now mysteriously been chained up again all this weekend. Having already had an eight month holiday, presumably on full pay, this is really disgraceful. Does anyone know when they are likely to bestir their dozy selves again??

I wouldn't go as far as saying that all I want for Christmas is an open library, but it would be very welcome

I called in Dulwich yesterday in the hope, but no, just the pathetic service we've had for months now. And there seemed as many staff available as would have run the library as usual.What are they all doing and what are we paying rates for?

I visited Camberwell library on Saturday and it was open, allowing people all the way in - was lovely to Brose and they had boxes to quarantine books that had been touched as well as a cleaner walking around wiping surfaces down.

Delighted to see this small return to normal service (:

They can easily monitor the number of people going into Dulwich Library, those wanting to study or use computers can be accommodated by an appointment system with a 2 hour maximum stay. I must admit I have been purchasing books from St. Christopher's shop at ?2 per time - generally getting 3 or 4 at each visit. I am able to afford this but those who are on a limited income would struggle.

You can return books to Dulwich Library.