Dulwich library - is it open? If not, when will it?!

Nope - no fees for click and collect

I emailed on Sunday evening and received a call on Monday late morning that my books were ready at Camberwell (as I had requested).

I walked over, used the hand sanitizer at the door, dropped off my returns and picked up my books...took all of 2 minutes inside the library (everyone was wearing masks and it was all very clear where to go / what to do)

I miss browsing the stacks but a bit of searching the catalogue found me a few grat options and I?m sure the librarians would offer suggestions!

(see their website for phone and email https://www.southwark.gov.uk/libraries/order-and-collect)

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Heard today that Dulwich library is being

> refurbished and will not reopen until mid August.

> Peckham is not being used due to having lifts.

> Grove Vale Library's future is uncertain. If Grove

> Vale was open we could at least return books taken

> out in March and select from a limited choice so

> reading matter to last the next few weeks.

>

> Grove vale library was only opened in the last

> year or so - having been delayed for some time

> whilst building works were underway. If it is

> closed then people around the Albrighton Estate.

> Melbourne Grove and Grove Vale end of LL, will

> have to travel down to Camberwell or to Dulwich

> Library. I thought Southwark was keen to encourage

> reading and other activities in libraries for all

> children to participate in, but it seems not to

> care.

Grove Vale library?s future is not ?uncertain?, there are currently maintenance works taking places and it will reopen when they are finished and the library has been prepared for social distancing.

The libraries reservation service is now up and running with no charges so you can reserve books to a library that is open and collect. You can also return books to any open library, it doesn?t have to be your ?home? library.

• 2 weeks later...

Dulwich Library open from today you place your returned books in a box in entrance area. You must pre order books either by phone 0207 525 4411 giving your membership (card) details. email [email protected]

Library will contact you when books are in for you to collect.

This will take getting used to as I normally just pick a few letters of the alphabet and go to these shelves and see what takes my fancy - this is a good way of getting to know new authors.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried ordering via catalogue - managed to order 2 books only in nearly an hour - not a very user friendly site.

Hubby ordered a book by phone and was advised later that it was sent to Dulwich Library on 17th August. Went to collect it on 21st and was told that boxes had not been unpacked. Eventually collected 27th August and talking to librarian about my difficulty in ordering via internet , did comment that many people have found the system slow and not helpful.

Cora Wrote:

> Went up today, closed.....why aren't they

> advertising opening times? We have a load of books

> we just want to return!

It's a pretty poor show! What are the staff doing/going if 'their' branch is still closed. I wonder who the councillor is for leisure/libraries?

They?re planning to open as normal over the next few weeks. I went to drop off some verrrrrrry overdue books, and the process was as simple as plopping them in a box. Only the sliding-door area was open, with a trestle table blocking further entry. There were 3 members of staff/volunteers, and you have to wear a mask in that area as a user. For children, they?re able to give a ?mystery bag? of age-appropriate books, which I thought was quite nice.

apbremer Wrote:

> I asked a lady there today She confirmed that they

> have no idea when it will be reopened(if ever??)

> Cinemas open, concert halls open, pubs and

> restaurants open, shops open. museums open. But

> STILL no library.

> Pathetic.

Can someone help point out the councillors responsible for leisure? We could all email...

Having ordered 2 books in late August I still have not heard whether they are now in Dulwich Library to collect as not had any emails. So long ago - I cannot remember what I ordered.

More logical (to me) is to have a couple of mobile shelves/trolleys of various books (fiction/ non fiction) for people to browse. Shelves/trolleys can be moved each night into 'isolation zone' for 72 hours and a fresh lot of books put out the following day etc.

• 3 weeks later...

How would it be saving money? If anything libraries are losing money due to the suspension of fines, charges for certain items etc.. The libraries are staffed, so again no savings there.

My understanding is that staff are currently working hard to make sure the library is safe for both staff and service users, remember a lot of the people who use the library regularly are vulnerable, maybe having less understanding of social distancing, increased hygiene etc.. Shops, PO etc. are not places that people go and spend the whole day to use various facilities.

Be patient and support your libraries by using the current click and collect service which is actually functioning very well.

University Libraries are gradually opening for their students and have a maximum number of students allowed in to undertake work etc. In Leeds which has student population of around 14,000 over several sites, they are only allowing 100 students in their largest library (which holds several hundreds) and these have to be booked on line in advance.

Upstairs in Dulwich Library where most of the users are - could operate a booking system and limit numbers.

Downstairs in the lending library, I rarely saw more than 15 people - most congregated area was by the computers and photocopier. Most people just want to get books and leave - the most time I have ever spent in the library is 20 - 30 mins. A queuing system at the entrance hall could easily be introduced.

I used the click and collect service to request 3 books - all shown as available for loan at the time. It took 4 weeks and a reminder email before I got any response and then I was able to collect 2 books and still waiting for the third (which is still showing as available in Dulwich library). It's hard to see why this service can't work better than that. I don't think I'll be using it again anyway.

I am generally a big fan of Southwark Libraries and very pleased that the Council has managed to maintain such a good library service over the years - which I think is far better than most other London boroughs and appears well used. Pre-lockdown it seemed to me the libraries I visited (Camberwell Green & Grove Vale mostly) were always well used, particularly by people who had need of somewhere quiet to study or work or to gain access to the internet. That need must still exist. I hope the library service can get things running again in some form soon.

i have found the ordering system shambolic. Having been notified on two occasions that items were available and waiting, they have lost both of them with completely wasted journeys. With the staff having had six months sabbatical, presumably on full pay, one would have thought that something more efficient could have been produced.They also have the cheek to close on Sundays when most people would,I would have thought,wanted to use the library. With pubs, theatres , restaurants etc. all open it surely cannot be beyond the wit of man to open something as simple as a library??

I too have been a great fan and user of Dulwich library for many years. This is very disappointing. Perhaps a Big Cheese at Southwark can explain?