How to cut plywood on Wickes car park

malumbu

I need to buy a 2.4 m x 1.2 x 18mm piece of ply. I'd rather not take it back on roof rack and intend to cut it in Wickes car park. I'll be using a general purpose wood saw. Have any others done this sort of thing? It's a genuine but facetious post (I do need to do this) as someone else is using a similar named thread to market something.

Brilliant, I could get more than I bargained for. Thanks for the advice. I got my tips on how to strip wallpaper from Mandy, one of Dick Emery's alter-egos. Sadly this clip is not on Youtube but here's some others to entertain you. Probably confusing for anyone under 40.

Whittens down from Peckham library has lots of wood off-cuts, might work out cheaper than buying a whole sheet, they will cut to size too, around 50p a cut. The off-cuts include solid lengths of timber e.g. ash, walnut, oak etc, great for shelves and some are big enough for table tops. A great place to explore for anyone who fancies themselves as a DIYer...

When I went to Whittens last summer they were running down then and iirc said they'd be closing down in December.

The website https://www.whittentimber.co.uk/ now says:

Whitten Timber Ltd has ceased trading as of 23rd March 2020.

The Whitten Family would like to thank all our customers for their loyalty and custom over the last 101 years.

The cutting and machining services may move to another site in the near future, see website for any updates.

LATEST: Cutting and Machining now available through A-Klass Carpentry and Joinery https://www.a-klasscarpentryandjoinery.co.uk/

Wickes don't cut, so ended up doing it myself in the car park. I was surrounded by these blokes but none of them offered to help.

Really sad about Whitten, as used to get more difficult bits of timber there. I understand that there were a number of timber yards there due to the proximity of the canal, in years gone by. There used to be Newsons at Pimlico and West Norwood, Catford Timber and that old boy on Underhill Road who had an eclectic stock of timber, some donkey's years old/