Congestion Charge now AT WEEKENDS and until 22:00 every day

Bradlington

pk Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you?re not aware of the situation inherited why

> are you so quick to allocate blame?

As I said, provide proof before defending your position but the link below is from the current mayors first year in office

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-annual-report-and-statement-of-accounts-2016-17.pdf

I'm no accountant but the finances are shown from page 104 onwards so if someone can work it out then good luck although at the time it showed cash in the bank 🀐

Many people are still, understandably, reluctant to use public transport, which makes it costly or impossible to go into the congestion zone either for necessity or recreation, cyclists excepted. This has to impact negatively on businesses in the zone.

Boris when Mayor paying no attention to detail managed to lose Westminster support for TfL's operating costs. You could argue that this subsidy, much greater than other public transport support across the country, had to stop.

Spartacus Wrote:

> pk Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If you?re not aware of the situation inherited

> why

> > are you so quick to allocate blame?

>

>

> As I said, provide proof before defending your

> position but the link below is from the current

> mayors first year in office

> http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-annual-report-and-st

> atement-of-accounts-2016-17.pdf

>

> I'm no accountant but the finances are shown from

> page 104 onwards so if someone can work it out

> then good luck although at the time it showed cash

> in the bank 🀐

So in short, you?ve said it?s obviously this mayor?s fault

But actually you haven?t a clue

2016/17 accounts are out of date.

TFL had a business plan which would have delivered a surplus in 2022/23.

They have no control over the mayoral pledge to freeze fares but have delivered with this challenge and the challenge of removal of government grant.

Fares will now rise and those using cars instead of public transport will pay extra.

Capital investment will continue, as it should and Crossrail, well...how the government haven't pounced on that epic failure instead is beyond me.

pk Wrote:

> Spartacus Wrote:

> -----

> > pk Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > If you?re not aware of the situation

> inherited

> > why

> > > are you so quick to allocate blame?

> >

> >

> > As I said, provide proof before defending your

> > position but the link below is from the current

> > mayors first year in office

> >

> http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-annual-report-and-st

>

> > atement-of-accounts-2016-17.pdf

> >

> > I'm no accountant but the finances are shown

> from

> > page 104 onwards so if someone can work it out

> > then good luck although at the time it showed

> cash

> > in the bank 🀐

>

> So in short, you?ve said it?s obviously this

> mayor?s fault

>

> But actually you haven?t a clue

Interesting debating style PK

You asked for evidence of TfLs finances and I provided their accounts from 2016/17 so that a conclusion could be drawn if the previous mayor left them up s41t creek with out a paddle (as I said I'm not an accountant but from what I read he didn't)

As a result you try to debunk my views without providing any evidence to the contrary.

But to answer your point, yes in my personal opinion the current mayor has failed to deliver on a number of areas under his remit (not just TfL) and if London was a private company he would have been removed from power by now and replaced. But that's just my view and others have different views.

Jules I agree the accounts are out if date but as pointed out above they were there to show where this mayor was a year into his role.

I would be interested to see the prediction document showing an operational surplus in 2 years as it was recognised a couple of years ago that revenue from fares were falling yet TfLs predictions were working on income from fares remaining the same at the time. I have also seen that the prediction for fares from the new crossrail line seemed to magically reverse this trend.

As always a prediction is only proved right in hindsight which means with creative accounting one could predict anything but until a surplus is actually delivered, it's just that "a prediction" and in the case of crossrail the predicted passenger numbers are in my opinion very questionable.

The document below shows (as well as concerns about TfLs financial position and recommendations) how much revenue the Elizabeth line was expected to raise, but with the delays the predicted surplus may well also be delayed.

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/tfl_finances_-_final.pdf

Perhaps there should have been more checks that people using buses are using their oyster cards etc. On a short journey from Plough to Goose Green - I witnessed around 10 people of different ages just boarding the bus without presenting their card. Maximum passengers on buses (double decker's) is 30 so one third of passengers not paying. Multiply this by all the bus routes - still amounts to millions lost over a period of time.

Crossrail, well...how the government haven't pounced on that epic failure instead is beyond me.

Because that has been in the pipeline for decades through successive Conservative and Labour Governments and all the London Mayors.

https://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/crossrail-from-its-early-beginnings

Also, Boris was the one who was proudly posing with a shovel as the first actual building work started so I doubt he wants too much to do with any sort of inquiry into it...

TfL just run the thing (or they will when it actually opens). Any massive infrastructure build is a consortium of public and private investment, there's simply no other way to finance it. It might be overbudget and late but at least there's something tangible at the end of it, not like a Boris Garden Bridge (finally abandoned by Khan as soon as he became Mayor but with ?43m of public money wasted, thanks Boris).

There's a theme with Boris and his white elephant plans like Island Airports and the Docklands cable car.