Petition - Peckham Rye Road Closures

mark_h

I've just seen this petition online about road closures around Peckham Rye (described further below). If this is something that concerns you, please take a minute to sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/to-stop-the-road-closure-taking-place-peckham-rye-covid-19-experimental-travel-measures-to-stop-the-road-closures-happening-in-peckham-rye-covid-19-experimental-travel-measures

Southwark council are trying to now set up a road closure on Peckham rye which will stop all traffic from driving down Peckham Rye (East) and turning right onto East Dulwich Road. Peckham Rye (west) already has a no right turn onto East Dulwich Road.

Thanks, I wont be signing the petition but useful to know that on my occasional drive to go a different way. I tended to avoid the Peckham/OKR route into town due to the traffic light sequencing on the other side of the Elephant. But have stooped driving that way due to the ULEZ, and will be giving up the car once the extension comes into place (but may do car club so again useful to know). I'll also try and suss out the best way by bus and need to check out if there is any priority. One thing that really used to wind me up was the selfish drivers on Rye Lane parking on the double yellows which tended to slow down the buses considerably. I'd have zero tolerance and send them to the car crushers.

Not from the Westernmost strand of Peckham Rye, no, correct.

But this change is talking about the Easternmost strand of Peckham Rye.

So there will be NO way to turn right to ED when heading South on Peckham Rye to ED Road

brambles Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you mean turn left into east dulwich road

> You can?t turn right into east dulwich road for

> years

brambles Wrote:

> Do you mean turn left into east dulwich road

> You can?t turn right into east dulwich road for

> years

You follow the 37 bus at the junction of Nunhead Road, East Dulwich Road and Peckham Rye East. - I do it on every visit to Sainsburys

For clarity.

Peckham Rye EAST side, is SE15, and the Common is SE15.

Peckham Rye WEST side, is SE22, as is the Park, SE22

One side has odd numbers (SE15 I think!)

The other has even numbers.

Meanwhile, SOUTH is towards the TOP of the hill.

North is towards Peckham and the river.

You're welcome.

To block a road to all but cycles (and the four busses that use it?) so that no-one can turn right, ie west, towards East Dulwich Road/Roundabout, from either Peckham Rye East OR West, shows utter stupidity, thoughtlessness, and all round f*&%wittery of those who run our Council. It WILL affect cycles because the extra traffic build up on PEckham Rye West will make it more dangerous for them. All council meetings I have ever attended I have tried to remind them that not all people can ride cycles for reasons of health age dis/ability or other. This idea is planned for after Covid has been dealt with I think. We must sign the petition and either all turn up and stop the work from going ahead, or just raise our eyebrows in despair.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> To block a road to all but cycles (and the four

> busses that use it?) so that no-one can turn

> right, ie west, towards East Dulwich

> Road/Roundabout, from either Peckham Rye East OR

> West, shows utter stupidity, thoughtlessness, and

> all round f*&%wittery of those who run our

> Council.

Praise indeed!

Well said Peckhamrose. I would also add that forcing cars to go out of their way, burns more fuel, causes more pollution and nothing is more polluting than cars idling in traffic clogged up as increasing numbers are forced onto fewer roads. The southbound cycle lane works perfectly well. It is not an accident hotspot. Cycling Northbound has never been an issue either. Southwark might do better to address some of the disintegrating road surfaces instead, which are becoming a bigger hazard for cyclists and motorcyclists alike. Having run out of roads to put speed humps on, closing roads to general traffic seems to be their next fad.

I couldn?t understand where this related to - two roads with the same name was too confusing for me and I needed a map. When I found the map I realised it wasn?t going to affect me contrary to that I first thought, but if it helps here?s the link to the actual details of what the Council is planning to do.

There are details and maps (8 of them) in the traffic management order on the Southwark Council website.

Follow the link for LSP Peckham Rye trial from this page https://www.southwark.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/traffic-orders-licensing-strategies-and-regulation/traffic-management-orders?chapter=5&article

This is an experimental order for 18 months so there is no need for the Council to consult before it comes into effect.

There are a number of ?Covid related? experimental orders going in across the borough. It appears the best way to object until a formal consultation is carried out (likely to be after 9 - 12 months of operation) is to send as many individual comments / letters / emails to your Councillor. If you've signed the petition that will count as 1 view as far as the Council is concerned from what they've said in response to other consultations so even if its just an email to your Councillor saying "I've signed " you might want to do that too if you want your view to be known.

I missed this first time round. Responses must be sent within 6 months of the date of the experimental traffic order. At 5 on the TMO it says

?The council will in due course be considering whether the provisions of the experimental order/s should be continued in force indefinitely, by means of a permanent order made under section 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. Anyone wishing to object to the making of the permanent orders or make any other representation regarding the scheme would have 6 months to do so, from the date the experimental order comes into force (or, if the order is varied by a subsequent order or modified pursuant to section 10(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, from the date that variation order or modification comes into force), and may send a statement to

[email protected] or to: Traffic Order consultations, Highways, Southwark Council, Environment and Leisure, P.O. Box 64529, London SE1P 5LX; or use the form labelled 'Parking - Road traffic and highway schemes - responding to statutory consultation notices' at www.southwark.gov.uk/statutoryconsultationnotices quoting the reference ?TMO2021-EXP14_LSP Peckham Rye?. Please note that if you wish to object to the scheme you must state the grounds on which your objection is made?

Has someone created an E-petiton against this on Southwarks own website? That is the petition that the council pay attention to. They will be discussing a petition against road closures in Dulwich and East Dulwich tomorrow. Get one of those going as well as the Chnge petition to get them to listen.

Link to do it is here - http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgEPetitionListDisplay.aspx?bcr=1

FairTgirl Wrote:

> Has someone created an E-petiton against this on

> Southwarks own website? That is the petition that

> the council pay attention to. They will be

> discussing a petition against road closures in

> Dulwich and East Dulwich tomorrow. Get one of

> those going as well as the Chnge petition to get

> them to listen.

>

> Link to do it is here -

> http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgEPetitionListD

> isplay.aspx?bcr=1

I set up the change.org petition. Have set up an e-petition as well. Am waiting for Southwark to get back to me:

A member of our team will review your request soon and either approve it or contact you to discuss it. You will be kept informed of progress by email.

Once it is live I will post on here for people to sign and share.

Huggers Wrote:

> so everyone will take the right hand rye fork and

> then wiggle through our peckham residential

> streets coming onto east dulwich road via Fenwick

> street? oh great.

In all likelihood yes, or go up to and along Barry Road and track back down residential roads to EDG or Lordship Lane. Similar to get to Nunhead.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that air pollution in Southwark is a public health crisis but the council needs to be held to account for the haphazard and inexplicable manner in which they appear to be going about closing roads. While at one end of East Dulwich Grove they are closing roads to prevent 'rat-runs' meanwhile creating new 'rat-runs' at the other.

Bucky -

Once it is live I will post on here for people to sign and share.

Good luck!