Post Office closures

It worth saying that this closure comes just a few years after the last round of cuts saw the closure of the Post Office in Crystal Palace Road.

Consultation will continue until April 2nd.

You can help the campaign by signing the petition outside Melbourne Grove Post Office or go to http://campaigns.libdems.org.uk/savesouthwarkpostoffices.

In addition, you can make their views known to Anita Turner, Network Development Manager, c/o National Consultation Team, FREEPOST CONSULTATION TEAM, or email her at: [email protected]. more on my blog www.richardthomas.org.uk

My mother used to collect her pension from post office 10 mins walk away from her. This was closed a few years ago and nearest PO is now over a mile away. Mum is 84, walks with a 3 wheeler trolley, finds it difficult to get on the bus, uses Dial a Ride but cannot rely on this each week. Her local bank was closed and nearest branch is 2 bus rides away. After having a heart attack in December, she finally asked me to become the second card holder to her acount, which allows me to get her pension. If she did not have family - she would be stuck as does not have a home carer.

Older people who are unable to get out, have giros sent to them weekly as this is the only way they can get others (usually home carers)to get pension out. The fewer PO open, the harder it will be for these very dependent people to access money to live on weekly.

Perhaps someone needs to look at this laterally - as virtually everything the Post office ever did is now available elsewhere (and usually more conveniently); couldn't the government re-allocate some of the massive subsidy paid to the Post Office to encourage other places to cash Giros? I'm sure if it was properly licensed with all the appropriate security then they could be cashed in corner shops, pubs, supermarkets etc?

BARA Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Older people who are unable to get out, have giros

> sent to them weekly as this is the only way they

> can get others (usually home carers)to get pension

> out. The fewer PO open, the harder it will be for

> these very dependent people to access money to

> live on weekly.

The old-granny-needing-to-use-the-post-office argument is the one I hear most often in defence of post offices but old grannies must do SOMETHING else other than go to the post office so I can't see how alternative arrangement couldn't be made

Post Offices as a physical location are pretty much redundant - all that's left to do is make the final arrangements

However - I would rather the Royal Mail was more like the US mail service - protected and focused on doing one thing simply and well

Not only Granny/Grandad affected of course, younger disabled people as well. I agree that there should be alternatives but since the banks have tightened up their procedures - it is harder to open up accounts. If you do not drive and have not got a passport then you are up s**t creek, you can produce as many other proofs of identity - utility bills, letters from DWP re income, NHS cards, letters re hospital appointments, even birth certificates, yet banks will still insist on passport/licence. Post Office accounts for those on benefit are easier to set up, hence their popularity.

mikese22 Wrote:

> Perhaps someone needs to look at this laterally -

> as virtually everything the Post office ever did

> is now available elsewhere.

Err - what's the equivalent alternative to sending parcels off? Don't suggest DHL or FedEx or such companies, because the convenience of going to a Post office (ie one place) to post all my parcels off (not to mention the ebay ones) is greater than going somewhere in a different part of London to take said parcels via FedEx or DHL. Those companies won't come to me and why should I set up an account for a few parcels now and again?

i refer you to my post of

February 20, 09:59PM

when i agreed that the parcel drop off service was the only thing they did that I personally found useful

you could of course apply the same lateral thinking and provide this service from other outlets......?

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> mikese22 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Perhaps someone needs to look at this laterally

> -

> > as virtually everything the Post office ever

> did

> > is now available elsewhere.

>

> Err - what's the equivalent alternative to sending

> parcels off? Don't suggest DHL or FedEx or such

> companies, because the convenience of going to a

> Post office (ie one place) to post all my parcels

> off (not to mention the ebay ones) is greater than

> going somewhere in a different part of London to

> take said parcels via FedEx or DHL. Those

> companies won't come to me and why should I set up

> an account for a few parcels now and again?

???? Wrote:

> ...or why should I pay tax so you don't have to

> set up an account...to take a contrary position

which is fine - if you don't mind paying sufficient tax (ie more than currently) to keep unprofitable Post Offices open....

I don't mind paying taxes for other things I don't use, like the education system for kids I choose not to have, and some elements of healthcare and so on.

I wouldn't mind paying taxes for a state supported postal service.

We live in a society we are all part of even if some people choose to think they are not part of it.

That society includes - or should include - all elements that make that society run smoothly.

Police and all emergency services

Healthcare

Education

Transport

Postal services

add your own here...

;)

• 3 weeks later...

I wondered how many people have gone into the Post Office on Melbourne Grove?

I live just around the corner from it and use it fairly infrequently. I've never seen it heaving either.

The reason I tend to use it infrequently though is that it's more like a corner shop, there is a nominal range of post poffice services and the customer service is beyond abysmal. Often you go in with no other person in there and have to wait for 5 minutes until one of the people at the desk finish having a chat with the other or are having a sandwich.

I'll happily walk an extra 10 minutes and have a bit of a queue to wait in if at least somebody is remotely bothered and efficient.