New proposal to build 17.5 mt 5G tower in Chadwick Road

uki1988

There is a new proposal to build a 17.5m high 5G Tower in Chadwick road that has been conveniently added during Christmas Covid season with no warning or alert to surrounding neighbors. The plans have been rejected 4 times in the past but have come up once again.

We object to it as it poses a health issue and will affect the surrounding conservation area of Grove Park and Holly grove. If you are a resident of Peckham and Camberwell grove area it might be a good idea to voice your concerns below:

https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QKGRSTKB03Q00&activeTab=summary

Please see picture of the tower attached

Thank you

Julia

Anyway there is a judicial review in progress over planning permission being relaxed for so many masts and health fears- I wouldn't expect too much but it means that this has been properly looked at :)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/government-5g-phone-mast-radiation-safety-fears-a4560011.html

I remember my mother having the same health fears about 1G masts in 199? to be honest.

If people want greater connectivity they have to get used to there being at least the chance of one of these masts being built near their home/school/etc. It sounds gruff but it's a reality. I don't think there are that many dangers but they do look rather ugly. Can they be surrounded by trees or does that affect their efficacy?

spider69 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So you would be in favour for this mast to be

> built right outside your house? always there when

> you open the curtains.

>

> Chadwick Road is a conservation area and residents

> have opposed this since it was first proposed some

> 20 years ago from memory.

Thats the effective state for everyone - you might not see them as they will disguise them - but they will be there.

5G is much shorter distance than 4G so you need more of them. Doesn't mean they are dangerous but it would be nice to have a good disguise - and I think they can penetrate tress etc. They will often be on top of tall buildings

I saw a new one on top of the new flats in Christmas Yard - sort of think Meh. I think we are a conservation area too LOL - a more urban type one.

There is no evidence that microwaves from comms towers pose any physical health risk (and there have been a lot of studies in this area)- the possible health impact of microwave radiation is sufficiently attenuated only a very short distance from the aerial. The (completely mad) suggestion that it is in any way related to Covid-19 is promulgated by the same people who believe we are ruled by lizards (although a good analysis of their ravings does suggest that for 'lizards' read 'Jews' as there is a very strong thread of antisemitism in their ravings).

The technology used by 5G Masts is different to those used in the past and there is not enough science to prove either side and for this reason it has been banned on most countries. I don't feel like being the test rat for this technology until they have substantial long term proof that it does not have adverse effects in our health. Below is an excerpt from one of the studies that have been done in the US regarding the effects of these masts.

"With 5G technology on the horizon, many questions have been raised about what this means with respect to human exposures to RFR. One significant difference between 5G networks and the current networks is that 5G will utilize a broader range of frequencies, including those much higher than NTP previously evaluated (> 6000 MHz). The lower frequency ranges that are currently in use (700-2700 MHz) remain relevant since they will continue to be used in existing cellular communication networks, as well as the 5G network. The higher frequencies, known as millimeter waves, can rapidly transmit enormous amounts of data with increased network capacity compared with current technologies. Millimeter waves do not travel as far and do not penetrate the body as deeply as do the wavelengths of the lower frequencies. Since these millimeter waves are likely to penetrate no deeper than the skin, there is less concern that these frequencies can cause harmful effects in the heart and brain. However, scientists do not know if millimeter waves may cause toxicity in the skin and other human tissues. Since the NTP?s studies have demonstrated that there is some interaction between RFR exposure at the tested frequencies and cancers of certain tissues, there is a need to understand the interaction between RFR and biological tissues and the factors that affect that interaction."

https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/whatwestudy/topics/cellphones/index.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=prod&utm_campaign=ntpgolinks&utm_term=cellphone

Also there was never any mention about the masts spreading or causing Covid so you are arguing against yourself

I was merely referencing one of the quite widely publicised set of (incorrect) suggestions associated with 5G and 'health'. For that matter there was no mention of the detailed level of possible interactions with skin that you decided to reference. I am not 'arguing against myself'.

And the study you linked to is one of rat and mice studies - one may reasonably assume these rats and mice were not 10s of metres from the radiation source when tested. As people (the general public) would be in respect of the masts. In so far as they are at all relevant, their relevance is probably most significant for those actually working on the masts, if in operation (which is, certainly, an issue, but not one for the general public living around the masts).

There may be perfectly good aesthetic reasons to object to the mast - and aesthetics may be a factor in mental health, particularly where people become fixated on an object they dislike - but I very much doubt that the physical health of he general public will be impacted.

The tower will be within 10 mts from us as we live across the road, so we will be constantly exposed to whatever risk it poses as well as having to look at it everyday. I don't understand why you would want to belittle any such concerns but that is besides the point. The point of this post was to raise awareness. If you are in favour of a new 17.5mt 5g mast being built on a road that isn't yours than I have placed the link above so that you may voice your concerns or supportive arguments for the council.

The tower will be within 10 mts from us as we live across the road, so we will be constantly exposed to whatever risk it poses as well as having to look at it everyday. I don't understand why you would want to belittle any such concerns but that is besides the point. The point of this post was to raise awareness. If you are in favour of a new 17.5mt 5g mast being...

Your distance is on the hypotenuse - so if the tower is 17.5m high, and you are 10m away from its base, then you are 20m away from the top of the tower, where the microwave transmitter is. Inside your house you will be further protected, by e.g. brickwork. I grant you its an aesthetic assault, but not, I again suggest, an assault on your physical health.

Complain for valid reasons (the look of it, which at least has face validity) and not less valid reasons (impact on your health, which is moot).

I don't, personally, like the applications and usages 5G enables (internet of everything etc.) - but then I'm old and stuck in my ways. But I don't think it's going to hurt me. From my house I can see (very visibly) 2 huge TV transmitters (including Crystal Palace) - now those are Towers!

Nigello Wrote:

. Can they be

> surrounded by trees or does that affect their

> efficacy?

They can. I favour the palm tree myself

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00oh38Y-tg_kBRmM8TkshXBRiyEyw:1606928192840&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=phone+masts+disguised+as+trees&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjlg_SA4q_tAhXhSxUIHUvKBP4Q7Al6BAgBEBQ&biw=1920&bih=937

uki1988 Wrote:

> The technology used by 5G Masts is different to

> those used in the past and there is not enough

> science to prove either side and for this reason

> it has been banned on most countries.

Has it?

It is a forum, uki, so all manner of people and all sorts of opinion are expected and welcomed - up to a point. To think that everyone is going to agree is unreasonable. You posted, people commented. That is how it is. Nobody is having a go, just doing what you are doing but from another viewpoint. Enjoy the EDF experience! ;>

Maybe the OP just doesn't like the look of the thing. It is pretty ugly I suppose. But then again if you want to live in an inner London suburb by a railway things like this are a fact of life. We can't all move to Peckham and expect organic food stores, vegan helicopters and rainbow schools when more than half the place is already covered in concrete.

I agree the tech is different but I don't believe it's dangerous

On the other hand I don't blame people being nervous but after you've seen these things come in regularly to the same issues you get a bit used to it.

There will be more of them - and enough for you to be tracked to street level if you want a conspiracy LOL

The fact is that this planning application should be rejected for the exact same reasons the previous one was rejected:

1. It goes against the aesthetics of the neighbourhood and the surrounding conservation area

2. It causes loss of amenity to adjacent residents and occupiers or the surrounding area.

3. It does not preserve and definitely does not enhance the appearance of the conservation area and neither does it respect historical building lines.

The mast is visually intrusive. If you click on the "Proposed North Elevation" document in the planning application this will clear any doubts as to what an 18m eyesore it is or whether it can be hidden behind trees:

https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QKGRSTKB03Q00

I think the government changed the law for 5G

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/phone-mast-planning-rules-scrapped-to-improve-5g-pdl2lqp9m

"The masts will still need to be approve by councils, though full planning permission will not be required. "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8551743/Mobile-phone-masts-high-Nelsons-Column-allowed-without-planning-permission.html