Visiting pubs whilst we are on tier 2

malumbu

I've looked through a few pub windows who seem to be serving beer but not necessarily food. One in central London seemed to have some very large 'bubbles' of drinking friends. I expect some are not following the rules. Experience of others? I've checked out the Raider but not sure if he is pubbing at the moment. Not a thread to have a rant at pubs that are not following rules, rather seeking views about good pubs to visit and whether you are doing this.

KK rather than questioning me give your views wny you wont be bothering. Pubs are going, so some people must be bothered. its time like these you almost miss the extreme reactions that some were posting during lockdown chastising those for stepping out of their houses.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes we are all expecting this but should I get a

> pint in first, and where safe?

I think the rule is sign up online and book a table - take a mask and get your pint served at the table.

Only mingle with those in your bubble.

The good pubs have someone enforcing guidelines/cleanliness/registration at the doors

Not been out (except to Starbucks after a shop in Sainsburys) but https://www.theoldnunshead.co.uk/ for instance seem to be following procedure.

It joust seems pointless - drink at home (this is exactly what the Doc told me not to do once)

Well, it?s a fair question. Isn?t it?

Why bother, when there is a pandemic, increasing restrictions likely (i.e. Tiers), and malarkey in the pub around distancing / being served at the table / having to eat food to be served / early closing etcetera.

I mean, literally, what is the point?!

If it was drinking water, vitamins, air, or light, I could understand it.

But for alcohol? Just go to the shop.

malumbu Wrote:

> KK rather than questioning me give your views wny

> you wont be bothering. Pubs are going, so some

> people must be bothered. its time like these you

> almost miss the extreme reactions that some were

> posting during lockdown chastising those for

> stepping out of their houses.

Odd demographic, loads of people in SE22 visiting local pubs but none post on this site. Thanks for all of you telling me what I can't do - I am a big girl/boy/whatever now and can make my own mind up. Perhaps you should get a placard and stand outside pubs singing onwards Christian Soldiers. Does come across as a bit smug.....

I expect that pubs are contributing to the spread, in part as many will have difficulties in confirming whether people are in bubbles or not. But whether this is worse that those congregating on North Cross Road I don't know and I expect schools and those congregating at home are far more to blame.

Brockey Brewery Tap sounds good, quiet, drafty and pizza too.

No need to get all defensive about it and start throwing accusations around.

You asked the question.

While criticising people for advising caution around visiting pubs you also concede that pubs are probably responsible for some of the spread of the pandemic. So, people advising caution are picking on you while this spreading disease in pubs are cool - is that it ? Can?t work out what you?re trying to mean.

So do you want an argument with yourself, or everyone else?

At the moment it looks like you?re trying to do both!

For me, go to the pub, drink your fill, fall about the place as merry as you want.

You?ll just be part of the unknown statistic of virus spread via public houses.

Free country, restrictions allow it, go for it!

Struth KK, I'm not ranting but not sure why you want to post on this thread. I thought it was a fair question about recommendations for pubs. This wasn't intended to be a should pubs be open discussion. I thought that I'd talk a bit about risk to show that I understand that having pubs open may not be a good thing. But similarly should supermarkets be open, restaurants, non-essential shops, public transport, galleries etc etc. Most would argue that they are doing the correct thing in minimising the chance of transmission.

On 4th July I was adamant that I wouldn't rush to the pub but found myself visiting three on a cycle ride out. I was disappointed that two had very poor controls and I similarly stopped going to my favourite one for the same reason. I also stopped using the Forest Hill Road supermarket because social distancing was so poor. On a trip to Yorkshire and Cumbria the pubs were generally much better run. Anyway unless others have any views this thread has run its course.

malumbu - I posted on this thread because I saw a risk to health through going to busy places full of people taking a drug called alcohol in the midst of an increasingly infectious pandemic where currently increased restrictions are being considered (if not actually imposed - as Tier3 - today).

I said why bother ?

My first sentence in this post hopefully explains why I said that and now it all makes sense.

Not as a wind-up or being disrespectful.

But my question still stands = Why Bother ?

"But my question still stands = Why Bother ?"

Because we are a social species that has put up with a year of increasingly onerous restrictions, and who feel that we need to see people in order to keep going. For the overwhelming majority of people the virus is incredibly low risk, so there is nothing to worry about.

jimlad48 Wrote:

> "But my question still stands = Why Bother ?"

>

> Because we are a social species that has put up

> with a year of increasingly onerous restrictions,

> and who feel that we need to see people in order

> to keep going. For the overwhelming majority of

> people the virus is incredibly low risk, so there

> is nothing to worry about.

Sorry to put my oar in, but low risk people may get the virus mildly themselves, or have it and be asymptomatic, but they can still pass it on to people who are not low risk.

jimlad48 Wrote:

> to keep going. For the overwhelming majority of

> people the virus is incredibly low risk, so there

> is nothing to worry about.

If I said you could give me all your money to look after and for the overwhelming Majority of people I'll give it back with 5% interest next year, would you take the risk you weren't in the minority who'll lose all their money.

Naughty naughty. The strain may be worse in terms of transmission but not so far in resistance to the vaccine.

Might sneak off to the Blythe for a last pint and pizza tomorrow - outdoors. First time I've visited a pub for weeks and yes I'm with you Jimlad, I do miss it

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I'm of the view that life needs to go on. If you're at risk then shield, if not then crack on. Sorry, its a bug that does bad things to people in way that other illnesses have done since time immemorial. The more we hide from it, the more we destroy the economy and make life more difficult in the medium term to pay and support those that need future help.

I'm prepared to wait till vaccines have been offered to all those who are vulnerable, but once thats done, I want all restrictions immediately lifted and let people choose whether to get on with life.

I suspect restrictions will be kept for a while after the vulnerable are vaccinated on the basis it might mutate to something the vaccine doesn't touch if it's given a reservoir of young people to mutate in so we will wait until it's fully eradicated - that'll be next summer IMHO.

Just my reading of the science and government and comments on news channels.

Well I checked out the Blythe but it was too crowded and ended up in the ninth life in Catford which had excellent social distancing etc.

I was at Enfield for a funeral today and ended up having a Guinness afterwards in a sports bar. No Covid measures whatsoever and felt very uncomfortable and didn't stay long. Sadly this is why we have to close our pubs. Enfield is also pretty horrid (sorry for my snobbery). Pub was also full of white racists, comments I hadn't heard since the 1980s. Obviously I live in a bubble.

malumbu Wrote:

> Well I checked out the Blythe but it was too

> crowded and ended up in the ninth life in Catford

> which had excellent social distancing etc.

>

> I was at Enfield for a funeral today and ended up

> having a Guinness afterwards in a sports bar. No

> Covid measures whatsoever and felt very

> uncomfortable and didn't stay long. Sadly this is

> why we have to close our pubs. Enfield is also

> pretty horrid (sorry for my snobbery). Pub was

> also full of white racists, comments I hadn't

> heard since the 1980s. Obviously I live in a

> bubble.

They've had the Mitre pub on TV a number of times from up there - it must be following rules or the journalists wouldn't all be there - would they .