Chronic Cough

susyp

I wondered if anyone had every been prescribed anything helpful for a cough?

My 4 year daughter had a terrible cough the week before last that made her vomit, cough uncontrollably, not sleep etc.

Eventually we got antibiotics and she did get better slowly.

We've had a week and now it's back - it's such a bad cough and she just choked on her food and coulnd't breathe for a few seconds - was terrifying. I can't see her going back to school before CHristmas. We're all knackered too.

Any advice from anyone who has experienced this?

thank you

Susypx

dehumidifier definitely works - they sell small ones that you can add essential oils (lavender and so on) in Health Matters, we find that very good esp during coughs and colds. Also recommend usual cough linctus - taste foul but do work at least temporarily. Hot ribena or honey, lemon & fresh ginger also great for sore throats and coughs and tastes nice too :) Our son coughs more when the central heating is on so try and leave a window open just slightly so the air dsnt get too dry. Hope it eases soon

Yes she is up to date. There's definitely not a whoop. And I don't think it's croup either. She seems to have an intolerance to mucus. We are thinking of trying antihistamine later tonight when the cough med wears off. I saw her teacher today who said she had a similar thing and hence missed lots of school until she went to secondary school - she ended up with lung infections etc so warned me to be v careful with my daughter. So it would be nice to find something to help otherwise I think we are virtually home schooling her over the winters! School were great and agreed I could take her in for xmas party next week but then take her off for the rest of the week to keep her healthy for christmas. Luckily her main interest is art and I have plenty of stuff for her to do.

The other thing is that a couple of times last week her feet got soaked in the playground and stayed that way all day - can;t be good for her - I am thinking of sending her in in wellies - she can always just have tights on in the classroom. I can't see her changing out of her shoes each break time so easier just to welly her up on wet or frosty days.

susypx

I would be careful with humidifier/vaporizors - sometimes these coughs can also be started by having a cold, then being sensitive or allergic to other things in the environment as the defense mechanism goes into overdrive. Specifically, one can be allergic/sensitive to mould spores which can breed better with vaporizors/humidifiers/laundry machines that do not get a high temp rinse on occasion/bathrooms, etc. Or, other allergens one is normally not that sensitive to can kick into overdrive after a cold/flu - cats, etc -

Our vaporiser definitely causes some issues for us as we live in a place with damp anyway but we run it when we need it overnight and it really does work and then we run a dehumidifier during the day which sucks all the moisture out. ~the wallpaper has never peeled or anything like that though. x

You have probably already tried this but elevating the top end of the bed could help. We have our little one's bed permanently propped up on two thick books at this time of year.

Could you get her some goretex shoes for school? Clarks or Ecco do them. I am looking into getting some for my son as I also worry about soaked freezing little feet.