Tessa Jowell centre - do they answer the phones?

I've been on the phone in a queue (with bad music) for half an hour. This is the second time I've tried.

I walked up there earlier and wanted an appointment for my daughter. As there are none today, she said I should go home and book a Consult online.

I don't know how to do this - the website said they should make a phone appointment when I get in contact with them.

Presumably she should have booked it while I was there this morning.

Any tips?

• 1 month later...

I do not think Tessa Jowell Centre is fit for purpose. The website they use is "not secure", a friend with a very ill husband needed an urgent chat with the doctor yesterday and was offered a phone call on Monday, and a request to speak to the practice manager was messaged to the person a while back and remains unanswered. Frankly when a phone call takes two minutes I do not see why the doctor on phone duty cannot oblige - please don't start on the files updates and referrals needed excuses for a patient - just do the job. My practice has never ever not phoned my family members back on the same day if a call is requested.

To cap it all their phone line has been down again and the website doesn't even offer an emergency mobile number.

Metallic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I do not think Tessa Jowell Centre is fit for

> purpose. The website they use is "not secure", a

> friend with a very ill husband needed an urgent

> chat with the doctor yesterday and was offered a

> phone call on Monday, and a request to speak to

> the practice manager was messaged to the person a

> while back and remains unanswered. Frankly when a

> phone call takes two minutes I do not see why the

> doctor on phone duty cannot oblige - please don't

> start on the files updates and referrals needed

> excuses for a patient - just do the job. My

> practice has never ever not phoned my family

> members back on the same day if a call is

> requested.

>

> To cap it all their phone line has been down again

> and the website doesn't even offer an emergency

> mobile number.

I've been sitting on this a while trying to process the ridiculousness of the comments made.

What does the website being "not secure" have to do with the centre being fit for purpose or indeed the matter at hand? You are not using the actual site to give over personal details for services offered. Booking appointments is via an external secure site.

To suggest the website does not offer an alternative number is incorrect. Albeit, this only applies to out of hours, but the website does clearly advise 111 or 999 for emergencies. This is quite standard.

Not sure why you feel a mobile number should be offered. This would only connect back to the phone service provided anyway.

With regards to getting through on the phone/requesting a call back - the instructions on the phone are quite clear and the options offered do work.

Members of my family (from varying different households and needs) haven't had any problems with contact either to or from the surgery over the last few months.

There will always be some negative experiences (whether actual or by hearing from another person) but I really don't feel it's right to start slamming a service in such a way. In these challenging times, try to be less demanding and adopt a more understanding attitude.

• 2 months later...
Perhaps someone could clear my confusion - I had thought the Tessa Jowell Centre was a health hub, with a GP Surgery (was this DMC?) a King's satellite phlebotomist unit (transferred from the old Dulwich hospital) and (currently) a Covid-19 vaccine centre for a consortium of local GPs. It is being referred to in this thread as if it was just a local GP. What is it?

I?m trying to be patient with the GP practice based here, but the management team is dysfunctional, which is a shame as the clinical staff (GPS and other health professionals) are excellent. I suggest that if you have any issues you complain to NHS England.

> I had thought the Tessa Jowell

> Centre was a health hub

Penguin68, yoiu're right of course. There's a good descriptive overview from the local newly enlarged NHS CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group) at https://selondonccg.nhs.uk/in-your-area/southwark/tessa-jowell-health-centre/, and another from the main hosptal service provider there: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/news-and-events/2020-news/november/20201102-tessa-jowell-health-centre-now-open.aspx. And an NHS GP surgeries page including reviews: https://www.nhs.uk/services/gp-surgery/tessa-jowell-gp-surgery/G85132.

The GP practice is an amalgamation of the Melbourne Grove and Hambleden practices. It's run by Omnes Healthcare Ltd, a subsidiary of the Omnes group. It was previously known as a Concordia group company. Concordia took over the Melbourne Grove practice about fifteen years ago.

heartblock Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I?m trying to be patient with the GP practice

> based here, but the management team is

> dysfunctional, which is a shame as the clinical

> staff (GPS and other health professionals) are

> excellent. I suggest that if you have any issues

> you complain to NHS England.

Dysfunctional in what way?

I?m not sure it?s helpful for me to outline my current complaint with this service, as currently being internally investigated. If people do have issues, it?s best to bring them to the practice first. If they feel it has not been investigated then contact NHS England.