Primary school league tables 2012 - now out

Monkey

Strong improvement across many local schools! Bessemer Grange, Dog Kennel Hill, Goodrich, Heber, Rye Oak, and St John's all improved results. More importantly, all schools (except Heber and St Johns) have value add scores that suggest they are out performing national standards given the ability of their intake so its not all down to gentrification.

Can someone just summarise/give me an idiots guide to what the figures represent - with the value added measures figures too - - we are about to apply for reception (not in ed) and the school we are planning to have as first choice seems to have really low results....but it is a very small school (12 in a year!) so am wondering whether somehow if they had 1 or 2 less able children it might totally skew the result? (at least I'm hoping this is the case!! Otherwise we need to have a rethink!)

That's what the value add is about. It basically determines if children (given their starting ability) are making progress in line with national averages. Schools with a value add score above 100 (for primaries) are progressing pupils faster than average given their starting point . The value add score is really the best measure of how a school is performing. Everything else can largely be down to how capable students are who make it into the school any given year.

An yes, having one or two pupils who are low attainers through no fault of the school would very much skew the expected level in English and Maths %.

Good luck!

LM

Would also like to point out how well Stillness in Honor Oak Park is doing

Percentage achieving Level 4 or above in both English and mathematics

2009 2010 2011 2012

School 91% 89% 88% 96%

LA 69% 75% 75% 85%

England - All Schools 72% 73% 74% 79%

Really good to see fewer London schools below the 'floor' target for these test results than any other region in the UK. On the subject of Honor Oak Park schools, Dalmain did very well too.

Percentage achieving Level 4 or above in both English and mathematics

2009 2010 2011 2012

School 73% 83% 67% 95%

LA 69% 75% 75% 85%

England - All Schools

72% 73% 74% 79%