Filming in Peckham Rye Park?

Professional film and TV production is work which cannot be carried out from home and is permitted under current regulations. Here?s the detail:

https://filmlondon.org.uk/covid-19-updates-and-guidance

Production companies filming on location follow strict codes of practice and draw up stringent risk assessments covering specific Covid-19 safety measures for each project/location, including testing for cast and crew as appropriate.

I was part of the filming production that's been on Peckham Rye Common and Waveney Avenue recently. Can I reassure everyone that the strictest measures were in place. We were tested everyday, and I felt safer there, than certainly in a supermarket. All productions have 'covid officers' on site to ensure that all procedures are adhered to.

So the people who live in the houses on that street, who may be going out once or so a day, did they also get tested ?

I would assume that they will be socially distancing and will be avoiding people closer than 2 metres, and possibly, if they are worried, wearing masks. Why should they be tested when they do not form part of a working bubble? Should they be demanding tests if they walk into or past shops or garages or GP surgeries where people are working? Or should they be taking responsibility for their own lives? As the film crews are as they work together.

staplemeg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone know what?s being filmed nearby? There

> appears to be a tv/film unit in the park car park

> (across from the playground) - gazebos, buses, tea

> and coffee etc. Looked like they were doing Covid

> tests this morning too.

This is unbelievable.

We are in a terrible situation with the pandemic and there are film crews setting up?

Meanwhile and nearby, in King's College Hospital, there are people dying and seriously ill with the virus.

Im surrounded by it.

Location bus parked outside Rye Hill Park TRA hall with towed (poss. 100kva?) generator running all day and nobody using it as the TRA Hall seems to have been commandeered by said crew. I hope the TRA are getting a hefty reward for venue. Most recently it's been accessed by most vulnerable as a foodbank. I will guess that any renumeration is unlikely to be funding free wifi or laptops but think it's likely it will disappear into a mysterious council fund and never be accounted for again.

Seemed incredibly busy over the weekend on this side of the common (apart from people accessing the foodbank). Brings to mind something Andy Warhol said about fame but now needs a Covid adjunct that it only takes 15 minutes of loitering to catch the variant...

PS: Behind our block there is one guy sitting in a portacabin with what sounds like a 3000kva generator running 8.00am till 3.00pm for a laptop. I could've run him a plug out. :-).

He Ho...

• 2 weeks later...
I?m pleased for the filming crew and actors that they are working. Their industry has been decimated, and most of them probably work as freelancers and rely on the gig economy. So good on whoever has decided to carry on with the filing and provide an income to the crew. If they are observing all the safety requirements then they are probably safer to be around than the people who roam the streets and parks looking to see how many people are out and about so that they can post about it here.

I agree with RoundTable and am glad they are earning and paying taxes but would add that the very fact that they are being allowed to work in this way, when many are not, may suggest they are somehow special and that could, unconsciously, lead to their not wearing masks, getting too close, being excited to be seeing colleagues, etc. I fear that complacency can easily set in in such circumstances though choose to give them the benefit of the doubt because I have no evidence that this is the case. (This applies to all of us - laxness is easy to slip into: just look at how many people are out and about this time compared to the first lockdown, when we had a less transmissable strain and good weather. We stayed in in our droves, unlike now...)

that the very fact that they are being allowed to work in this way, when many are not

We are being asked to work from home where that is possible, but if not, to go to work. I doubt whether location work like this is possible from the various homes in which the crew will live, so they are not just being 'allowed' to work - but it is a necessity. People working on e.g. building sites (or on the very many road works around the borough) are also being, in your words 'allowed' to work 'in this way' although I would suggest 'required' might be a better verb.

Many film crews (or elements thereof) will 'bubble' - that is form a close working group and not mix with others - think of the way they managed Strictly - this often means that for the duration of the work they will be separated from their families.

Unless you believe that if you were working like this it would lead to your complacency etc. (remembering that this is a work, not a social situation) I don't think you have much to worry about here. I am sure they will be policing each other as regards work safety.