ANOTHER crash at the eastern end of Upland Road

bheroniphr

Oh my goodness, we've just witnessed the third RTA in three months at the eastern Lordship Lane end of Upland Road. Same as always, someone pulled out into traffic.

Everyone seems OK, both drivers got out and pretty sure there were no passengers. Thank god.

I actually park on that road and my goodness am I super careful whenever I pull onto Lordship Lane now.

Is this being flagged on some system? Can we make this junction safer? James B, if you read this, do you know if anything is being done? (I've no idea what). I don't think there's been any fatalities yet but it seems like it's just a matter of time.

I really hope everyone is OK in this latest accident.

At 10.20 pm today another accident has occurred on lordship lane at the junction of upland rd involving a bus and two cars. It is at the same place as a previous accident several months ago. Surely the council needs to take some action this time to implement traffic calming measures. Traffic is at at standstill.

Everyone seems to be fine. The bus wasn't involved .

Seems a case of removing the two cars causing the hold up . We always get worried when we hear a bang and always pray everyone walks away unharmed.

I have witnessed one fatality , a young boy on a moped many years ago and that was a sad loss of a life due to speeding ,definitely there needs to be an improvement on that junction .

Yes yet another crash on this stretch of Lordship Lane. I have raised this with James Barber see below

Re: East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Posted by Lordship September 17, 10:17AM

Hi James

You may have seen the posts relating to the accident on lordship lane at 10.15 pm on 16/09/12 this is the second high speed accident on this stretch of Lordship Lane. Cars regularly travel well above the speed limit on this section and there have been many near misses. There is a crossing island between Friern and Upland road, which is heavily used by the pupils of Goodrich School, and the Harris Academies to cross Lordship Lane and I have witnessed some very near misses as cars travel so fast there. I feel a sign that flashes slow down and shows the car's speed would really help slow traffic if positioned near Underhill or Overhill Road (on the left hand side of the lane when travelling towards East Dulwich). Also there is a lot of wreckage left from the cars on the side of the road and around the tree one of the cars hit and lots of petrol on the road and pavement as one of the cars petrol tank split during the accident, I will contact the council and ask if it could be cleaned up and would be grateful if you could do the same. I would also be very grateful if you have any insights into the council?s position on traffic calming for this section of Lordship Lane or how neighbours and myself should go about asking for some traffic calming measures. Thank you for your time.

However I fear the accident stats for this part of Lordship Lane are incorrect as you can see from James's reply

Re: East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Posted by James Barber September 19, 08:42AM

Hi Lordship,

Looking at the last three years of crash data for this locaiton (www.crashmap.co.uk) 2009,2010 & 2011 shows 2 slight injuries over 2 crashes along the Lordship Lane around junctions with Friern and Upland Roads.

We have a number of other locations in East Dulwich which have more crashes and with more severity.

I personally think we should be deploying average speed cameras arond Southwark. Siemens is happy to provide them and fund requiring 3 speed awareness courses funded by speedsters per week. But it's complicated by the west side being in Village ward whose councillors have previously shown reluctance about controlling speedsters - hence the shared part of Melbourne Grove being one of the very few East Dulwich roads not 20mph.

--------------------

Regards [email protected]

07900 227366

Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward

[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]

[twitter.com]

It was good of James to reply but hope the council don't wait for another fatality until they decide to do something.