School Places

Yep, East Dulwich Charter will have finished its expansion just as the bulge years, for which it was built, passes.

Give it a couple more years and they will be consulting on closing down classrooms due to lack of pupils.

Brilliant project management they?ve had.

• 1 month later...
This is all so helpful to me as I?m applying for my child this coming September. Thank you so much everyone. Does anyone have any update on how the shakedown / waiting list movement has progressed? I know there?s still lots of movement to happen, but interested to know if there?s any update- we?re on Friern between under hill and goodrich and so about 1.2km and getting pretty nervous now.

At the point of school offer day, we were around 60 on the waiting list for Charter ED (we live about 1.2km from the school).

We elected to remain on the waiting list after December, and at the end of the Easter term were offered a place (which we eventually declined).

Wow. That?s very encouraging. Thanks for responding oimissus. I didn?t realise the movement would be that big, 60 kids who didn?t take up an offer at presumably one of their top choices- though I presume a lot of those will be children going private.

Just on this - do you mean the place came up in Easter of the year your child started in year 7 please?

oimissus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> At the point of school offer day, we were around

> 60 on the waiting list for Charter ED (we live

> about 1.2km from the school).

>

> We elected to remain on the waiting list after

> December, and at the end of the Easter term were

> offered a place (which we eventually declined).

Yes, she started year 7 Sept 2021. End of Easter term 2022 she was offered a place, to start at the beginning of the summer term.

I would assume that a lot of parents don?t stay on the waiting list beyond December, either because they no longer want a place or because they don?t realise they?ll drop of it unless they specify they want to stay on it.

Thanks for the clarification. I had definitely mis-read, though on re-reading it was very clear. I think I read what I wanted to read, not what was written!!!! Oh well, back to the nail biting distance calculations for me for next year then, as someone else kindly pointed out to me in private that I had misunderstood and at the same time that the waiting list hadn?t moved by a great amount as yet.

Exactly this - we have friends who's child was on both Charter waiting lists but they didn't bother to continue as their child settled in well where they ended up - and that was ultimately why we didn't take the place up when push came to shove.

goldilocks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you - I guess its also once they've settled

> somewhere else that the move could be really

> disruptive.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Updating this thread in 2023...For interested parents, the 'longest distance' offered on 1st March 2023 offers day (for the Sept 2023 admissions) was 1396 metres!! Good news! And presumably this will increase further as we get closer to Sept 2023, as some of these places will not be accepted (as we've seen in previous years). Sounds like good news for ED parents worried about their chances of getting into Charter ED in the future. Here's a map of 1396 metres radius.

2023-03-08_18h00_08.thumb.png.f50eba4e2b029a5d007b5a901d913a6a.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. My daughter wasn't offered a place in ED Charter and is 35th on the waiting list as of end of May. 

I am wondering if anyone can share their experience from previous year? I heard stories of pupils being offered a place in September from being in places above 50. I am not sure whether we stand a chance in this battle....

• 2 months later...
On 08/03/2023 at 20:56, gebbjane said:

Just out of interest do you know the North Dulwich Charter Catchment on offer day this year as well?

This has been on their website for a few months. I'm assuming it refers to the offer day.

"The furthest distance we have offered a place for our year 7 September 2023 to date is 921 metres. This may differ for our September 2024 intake."

I previously saw on The North Charter website that the 2024 Open Day eventbrite tickets were going to go up on Sept 1st, but now can't locate the page.

Does anyone have a link to it?

Thanks.