Pedestrianization of Lordship Lane

Southwark Council have decided to turn Lordship Lane ? from Goose Green roundabout, south to Melbourne Grove into a "summer walking street". From April 1 st until September 30 th, access to motor vehicles will only be allowed for deliveries from 6 am to 10 am. Exceptions for buses, emergency vehicles, and Blue Badge holders (for access only).

Caf? owners and other suitable businesses are encouraged to place tables outside, create planters and similar street furniture to provide a pleasant atmosphere in the Lane, conducive to strolling and socializing.

ANPR cameras will be enabled to prevent unauthorized vehicles entering the zone.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Rye Lane has been car free in the main for years..

>

>

> it's now Bus Free.

>

> Foxy..

But as a result it's become an anti social behaviour hot-spot as there's no passing observers 😱

The closure is resulting in fewer people using it for shopping, what it was intended for. Unfortunately we are seeing the slow and gradual decline of Rye Lane as a place to go shopping. Just think back years ago when it was home to the likes of Woolworths, Halfords, M&S, C&A, Jones & Higgins, Holdrens, Times furniture - it was huge, Austins, Coles, Tobacconist, Deli under the station,

Personally only use Rye Lane for the banks, Asda and Morrisons, Lidl and Sports Direct + Iceland occasionally. Otherwise not much else of any interest there anymore. It needs more footfall but with it closed off I fear more empty shops.

Pedestrianization is the main cause of the increase in assault on the person and antisocial behaviour'

Places like Lewisham and Bromley Town Centres Prime examples..

When cars were allowed to pass through there were more people around.

Now gangs hide in doorways .. Urinating .... Drug Dealing ... and more. attacking people and robbing them.

It is no longer Safe for people to walk along the street.

They are like Ghost towns..

Open up our roads. They were built to carry traffic. Busses .. Cars and the like.

Fox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Pedestrianization is the main cause of the

> increase in assault on the person and antisocial

> behaviour'

>

> Places like Lewisham and Bromley Town Centres

> Prime examples..

>

> When cars were allowed to pass through there

> were more people around.

> Now gangs hide in doorways .. Urinating ....

> Drug Dealing ... and more. attacking people and

> robbing them.

> It is no longer Safe for people to walk along

> the street.

> They are like Ghost towns..

>

> Open up our roads. They were built to carry

> traffic. Busses .. Cars and the like.

>

> Fox

lmao this is an extension of the april fools theme of this thread right?

I don't know if Dulwich Fox is right about crime, but I know he's right about how pedestrianisation has ruined Rye Lane. Before there was a bus stop within easy reach of any shop, now it's a a longer walk, while probably carrying shopping, which was the whole purpose of the visit. And the fact that trains from ED Station are only every half hour hasn't helped either.

alice Wrote:

> thanks S. and DF check out the crime map for Rye

> lane street crime has not gone up. But I still

> want the buses back.

Hi Alice

The crime map works on "reported" crime, from conversations I've had with residents who live above and around Rye Lane crime has increased but it isn't being reported which is why on paper the numbers aren't going up.

My suggestion is that a conversation needs to be had with businesses and residents to ascertain the situation and despite the council saying they held a consultation before closing the lane, no one I have spoken with was involved and businesses were "told" Rye Lane was closing (hardly a consultation)

I agree the buses need to return as its killing the Lane and disabled and elderly can't access the shops.

I've heard of secret plans to pedestrian North Cross Road by the corrupt and incompetent council. They have no arrangements to consult with local residents and businesses and want to close the road one day a week to hold an outdoor market. Rumour has it that they want to attract a stall doing bike maintenance - clearly cyclists/the extremists of the London Cycle Campaign are running the show. This will take business away from established shops on Lordship Lane - Franklins expect shorter queues on Saturdays, the Cheese Shop are ordering less ciabattas and William Rose's Xmas queues may start a few days later. The closure of North Cross Road and loss of parking will increase congestion in surrounding streets. This closure is purely for the benefits of the rich in Dulwich Village, who I expect will have preferential parking for their chauffeurs. Local residents should resist, gather together with burning torches, be very angry and complain on social media.

With apologies for not posting yesterday.

An interesting idea and I can see real benefits, but the council would need to work out where to divert displaced traffic. Looking at the map there is a clear alternative, Melbourne Grove, which could become the Lordship Lane bypass, just as Croxted and EDG have been turned into the Dulwich Village bypass.

Obviously it would be necessary to remove the existing road-humps and other traffic calming measures on Melbourne and probably stop on-street parking. But I am sure the Melbourn Grove residents who previously supported closure of their own road will be happy to make this sacrifice in the cause of Active Travel.

jazzer Wrote:

> Just think back years ago when it was home to the

> likes of Woolworths, Halfords, M&S, C&A, Jones &

> Higgins, Holdrens, Times furniture - it was huge,

> Austins, Coles, Tobacconist, Deli under the

> station,

Of all the fascias you mention, only M&S and Halfords still exist. Halfords has gone to a retail park model (and is actually half a bike shop), and M&S has flailed.

Retail is a brutal business. Landlords' rent expectations are ridiculous. Consumer tastes have changed. Demand has changed. And more than a decade of austerity has entrenched poverty in places like Peckham. Rye Lane isn't just a story of "council mismanagement" or pedestrianisation - it's a 19th/20th century retail streetscape that doesn't match 21st century needs.