Car Insurance for 25 year old male ??

Naiada

My son has just bought a secondhand car car (2008 - 2 litre Ford Focus cabriolet) it cost ?2000 and he says insurance is coming in at approx ?1000 p.a ( via Moneysupermarket etc) - Any suggestions of where how to get it cheaper?

He?s currently still living with is but moving out to a rented flat in a couple of months. He?s been driving since May 2015 ( age 19) and has a clean licence. He?s always been on our policy up til now as he?s just been driving our car.

thanks for any help.

By having been previously covered under your insurance policy your son won't have built up any No Claims Discount of his own, hence the expensive quotes.

You can bring the price down by increasing the voluntary excess (the amount he's prepared to pay in the event of a claim) or by reducing the mileage he expects to cover. Some insurance companies may also offer a bit of a discount if you pass an advanced driving test.

You could also try calling the companies by phone and buttering them up a bit by saying that you really want to buy their insurance but can they do you a better deal than the one you've been offered online.

Thanks for your replies.

We used to have a ?black box? in the car when he was learning & newly qualified so will look into that option too.

Yes, I was going to call them & try and negotiate - it?s always worked for me in the past.... Any more suggestions also gratefully received, thanks .

Insurance is expensive for new young drivers and has been for some time, but it's not just young people who get stung in this way but experienced drivers who get rid of their car and then decide to own a car again,. After 3 years of having no car insurance, all prior no claims statuses are lost, and you have to start again as we found out. 18 years clean driving experience counted for nothing and the average quote was also coming in at ?1000.

In addition to suggestions above, he could look at mileage restricted policies. A few insurance companies offer those kinds of policies. In the end we opted for a car sharing arrangement and use this company, who are just useful to know about anyway because of all the flexible insurance arrangements they offer. Especially good for those who don't use a car every day, but need one more than hiring a car occasionally.

https://www.cuvva.com/

thanks for the link to [www.cuvva.com] Blah Blah - so far that looks as cheap as any- around ?1000.

I've tried a broker called Adrian Flux (phone only) and theirs all came in at over ?2000!!!!

Churchill (who we are with) wouldn't go lower than ?1500.

If I find anything much under ?1000 I'll update this post.