Unsettling experience running in Dulwich Park this morning

alimc

Hi all, just wanted to share something odd / unsettling that happened to me this morning in case anybody else has a similar experience and it is a 'thing'.

I was doing my usual run around the trail at the outer edge of Dulwich Park this morning with not a care in world. As we all know this is a narrow track so it's not unusual to slow down or step out of the way for other runners or dog walkers. Suddenly out of the blue I feel a body so close behind me that it was right up against my backside - I could literally feel his body up against my arse. This happened very quickly but in the moment I swore and jumped to the side as did the guy who was doing it and for a moment we did that sort of dance you do when you try to get out of eachother's way and go in the same direction. He then sped on ahead. He may have been running very quickly behind me and I was going too slow for him but why on earth he though it was acceptable to get up behind me and so close so that we were actually touching, is beyond me. Covid and social distancing aside, it felt aggressive, intimidating and a violation, frankly.

I'm posting here in case anyone else experienced something similar. Having canvassed a few menfolk this morning they were all pretty horrified and said it sounded wrong, unnecessary and a bit deviant. So deviance aside, if this guy is just some prick who thinks he owns the trail then I would like to just say to him (and anyone else thinking of running up close and personal to other runners) , BACK OFF AND HAVE SOME MANNERS AND STOP INTIMIDATING WOMEN! If the trail is too narrow and confining for you then run somewhere else. If it's not about that and you are a pervert then I hope someone gets to you before this escalates.

I think I could accept that he would bump into me if we were coming at eachother head on around a blind corner or something but he came up behind me and would have had time to hang back, surely. I don't want to report this to the police, I just want to post it here to remind people to be mindful of others when you're running and also in case someone else had a similar experience, this might be something to look out for.

IlonaM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What a nasty experience.

>

> Please report it to your local SNT (by

> phone/email), 101 or via the Met website. Your

> report may prevent an escalation in his behaviour.

Yup definitely report it, it might have happened to someone else and the more people that mention it will help catch the person doing it.

I've experienced runners on the street that clearly have spacial awareness issues and brush too closely even in this Covid era but this sounds more than that.

Hard I know, but any distinguishing features you noticed?

alimc Wrote:

> Hi all, just wanted to share something odd /

> unsettling that happened to me this morning in

> case anybody else has a similar experience and it

> is a 'thing'.

>

> I was doing my usual run around the trail at the

> outer edge of Dulwich Park this morning with not a

> care in world. As we all know this is a narrow

> track so it's not unusual to slow down or step out

> of the way for other runners or dog walkers.

> Suddenly out of the blue I feel a body so close

> behind me that it was right up against my backside

> - I could literally feel his body up against my

> arse. This happened very quickly but in the

> moment I swore and jumped to the side as did the

> guy who was doing it and for a moment we did that

> sort of dance you do when you try to get out of

> eachother's way and go in the same direction. He

> then sped on ahead. He may have been running very

> quickly behind me and I was going too slow for him

> but why on earth he though it was acceptable to

> get up behind me and so close so that we were

> actually touching, is beyond me. Covid and social

> distancing aside, it felt aggressive, intimidating

> and a violation, frankly.

>

> I'm posting here in case anyone else experienced

> something similar. Having canvassed a few menfolk

> this morning they were all pretty horrified and

> said it sounded wrong, unnecessary and a bit

> deviant. So deviance aside, if this guy is just

> some prick who thinks he owns the trail then I

> would like to just say to him (and anyone else

> thinking of running up close and personal to other

> runners) , BACK OFF AND HAVE SOME MANNERS AND STOP

> INTIMIDATING WOMEN! If the trail is too narrow

> and confining for you then run somewhere else. If

> it's not about that and you are a pervert then I

> hope someone gets to you before this escalates.

Yeah I can't tell - some people don't have a very good idea of what another persons personal space is - and that's extremely annoying, others use that as an excuse to assault, others just assault because they think they can. Even the innocent one in these types needs to know they can't do that.

I?m so sorry this happened to you. It sounds like a sexual assault. Often our brains try to find other more innocent explanations (like perhaps it was an accident, even if logically that makes no sense) and they exploit that feeling of uncertainty (and a feeling to yourself of disbelief). It sadly isn?t likely to have been his first time. Thank you for warning others. I hope you feel ok.

The police have recently increased patrols around Peckham Rye due to a Man exposing himself to children. If you can possibly remember his clothing / description the police can check the CCTV to try to spot him.

A couple years ago my 16 yr daughter and a friend were running very near to the spot you're describing (except the other side of Fireman's Alley) when they were stopped by a male jogger who touched my daughter's friend inappropriately (VERY). He was caught the following week by police but most frustratingly my daughter's friend chose not to press charges and he was let go with a caution.

I wonder if it's the same bloke? You are welcome to PM me a description if you like and I can let you know if it sounds like the same person. Worth knowing because the police will have a record of this chap's info.

Could very well be an innocent encounter, but equally likely it was no accident. Either way, I'm really sorry it happened as I can imagine it must be hugely unnerving. Thanks for sharing.

Grateful to you for sharing and wish you the strength to report it to the police.

To support the awareness of others, I would post any other details or descriptions that may also be helpful. For me, even with a sincere offer of an apology by this stranger for violating my space and body, I would definitely follow my gut feeling.

smooch Wrote:

> don't stop running!!

I'm a runner too - and a bloke - and my utmost sympathy goes to you and anyone experiencing unpleasant incidents while exercising outside. Wishing you well.

sarah-marie Wrote:

> I don't understand why you didn't want to report

> to the police if it bothered you enough to post on

> here then please think of others too and could be

> worse for next victim

I don't think that's really fair, everyone processes things differently, it was clearly upsetting for OP. To be honest, and in personal experience, police reports don't always result in anything, so maybe she feels alerting her local community here is enough for now. Also, it's not actually anyone's fault besides the offender whether *he chooses* to do it again to others- let's not victim blame here. Sending lots of love to OP! <3