Recommendation/advice on extensions in the Dulwich estate conservation area pls

heleny

We're thinking about doing a rear ground floor extension and all advice/recommendations would be very gratefully received.

Our terraced house is in the Dulwich Estate and also now a conservation area so subject to more than the usual restrictions. We're interested to do a small single story ground floor extension and wondered if anyone has any advice about going about this, i.e. good builders, architects and getting approval from Southwark to proceed.

Anyone care to share good (or bad!) experiences?

Thanks very much

Hi there,

Your lucky actually, living in a conservation area and living in a listed building are 2 very different things not that you brought up listed buildings, but having worked on a refurbishment of one, they are. . . demanding!

Back to your situation, a conservation area is designed to protect a local area for its architectual or historical significance/importance. This includes trees, roads, buildings etc, and mainly covers what you see from the street, ie the front aspect of a property. If your extension is to the rear and not easily visible from the street then you should not have too many problems.

Standard process would be to apply for conservation area consent. If you have tentative plans already drawn up then you can ask Southwark planning for an pre planning advice - I think this costs about ?275 and means that if your application will be rejected (if submitted) then they can give you advice and feed back on your design proposals. The process should not be that difficult or complicated (fingers crossed).

If you need any help, advice or would like to discuss your project with me and my team, then please let me know. You can contact me directly on 07939838896.

Hope this helps.

Nic

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your feedback - no, we're definitely not in a listed building. The extension would not be visable from the street but I've noticed from the Southwark Planning section of their site based on similar applications, they will still have some considerable input so would be good to have as much info as possible in the early stages before we waste time planning something that has no chance of approval.

Can you PM your company details please?

Thanks!

Hi,

I built two extensions in the Dulwich Estate area and am happy to share my experiences. The main thing I would say is to keep your neighbours onside. Mine complained and I had to re-submit my plans. Meaning lots of cost and stress and delay.

Applying for planning permission from Southwark is easy and cheap. From the Dulwich Estate it is a disgraceful twice the price and four times the hassle!

I was lucky enough to have the best builder ever - let me know if you want his details!

PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

Archived