Bus journies taking longer?

Getting to and from work is taking much longer these days due to greater congestion arising from increased traffic on the main routes. This displacement is caused by the road closures established by London Transport and Southwark Council.

And its just not delays. There are other outrageous changes such as those to buses on Rye Lane.

NOTHING will be done about this unless many of us complain. Please direct complaints to ALL of the following:-

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

This is probably not the reply you want and it is not meant to be dismissive or uncaring, but walking a few extra stops is a good idea. Skip the whole length of the Lane, say, from Whateley down to E Dulwich station, takign advantage of the leafy quietness of Melbourne Grove (!) and burn a few calories to boot. Not everyone can, of course, but many people will be able to do that and may even like it. Sitting on a bus stewing is not ideal for your health, though I understand the frustration and don't want to make light of it.

Nigello, it depends on a work you do and other circumstances. If you a nurse coming home after 12 hours shift, which usually means being on your feet a lot , the last thing you want is walking through the 'leafy quietness of Melbourne Grove'. Not to mention that this 'leafy quietness' might be nowhere near your route home.

It is in the eye of the beholder. If you (by which I mean, any reader) prefer to see bad intent and use it as an occasion, perhaps, to show your virtue and caring nature, go ahead. Most people understand that a forum is a venue for views of all kinds and that conversations can go off in different directions, still aligned to the main thrust. I am content in my knowledge that I did not mean to belittle anyone's experience - in fact, I stated it quite openly. Some can do as I suggest, some can't - I don't have a hitlist of nurses, bakers, candlestick makers in my head when I make a comment!

flippit Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> @nigello

>

> It may be alright for you but if you have limited

> mobility and are aged or infirm then it is a

> different story.

>

> It smacks of " I'm alright, Jack"

But Nigello was quite clear in acknowledging not everyone can, so why haul her up on not considering them - when she actually did 🙄

At least be accurate with YOUR own dismissive posts !

Nigello Wrote:

> Which is precisely why I ccouched it in my

> placatory terms, with "you" meaning "anyone

> reading this" - please don't take offence for

> yourself or anyone else where none was intended.

You seem to have had problem previously with "you". If you don't want to refer to a person , why not use "ONE"?

https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,2192497,2203778#msg-2203778

For me the problem with buses started when TfL introduced the electronic boards announcing when the next bus is due. Good idea in principle but it should be set to say something like ?next bus due in 5 min? or so instead of trying to tell the exact bus arrival, up to a minute. In a city of 8 million people (+), where things change all the time, it is an absurd to try to predict bus the next bus arrival so precise.

The infuriating ?regulating the service? thingy followed, where buses stop for a few minutes at the bus stops so they fit this ?up to a minute? schedule ? the frustration and anger this causes is beyond words. Utterly impractical and unnecessary.

Then the trend to make everything cyclists friendly started and many roads were halved to accommodate cycling lanes, which took space away from buses; now the so-called LTNs, pushing the traffic to the roads like Lordship Lane and making bus journeys even longer.

And then TfL announces that they have to cut down bus frequency and get rid of some bus routes because people don?t use them! You make something worst and then claim it is not being used so you have to shut it down. Pure Monty Python.

I'm with you on this. What amazes me is that all bus stops don't have these inductor boards. The technology is dead cheap.

womanofdulwich Wrote:

> I quite like the bus expected signs, helps me

> decide whether to walk or not.

As I have said many times in many places. Get rid of all speed bumps on main routes where buses and lorries are supposed to go and where the through traffic should be. Also change these back to 30MPH, get the traffic flowing. Then the side streets/non main roads should be for cyclists, walking scooting and access for residents cars etc with speed bumps and 15 or 20 MPH speed limit. I am fed up driving along at 20MPH being over taken by motor bikes/scooters and other cars. Unfortunately the current design used of speed bump cushions etc are rarely ones that can be navigated at the permitted speed limits without damaging your suspension or your joints. So sorry every one but many I have to slow to 10MPH or it causes great pain. (Eg Wood Vale, Southhamton Way, and most if not all of the raised flat crossings like Foresthill Rd. Before anyone chips in with comments, I cannot cycle, walk far, scoot or use public transport and have the huge cost of running a private small car otherwise I would be housebound. I am also not suggesting to ban walking etc from the main 30MPH Roads, but hell people need to learn road safety and how to cross roads etc again like this ol fart did.

it?s just that the antiquated designation of ?main roads? needs changing to reflect changing population density. The broadest roads with the lowest ?people per linear metre? have the most traffic restrictions.

Chunx wrote

"I am also not suggesting to ban walking etc from the main 30MPH Roads, but hell people need to learn road safety and how to cross roads etc again like this ol fart did."

"That would mean they would have to take responsibility for their own actions and not be wrapped in cotton wool like now.

It also means they would have nobody to blame if or take legal action against for their mistakes."

Cannot let that happen.

Chunx Wrote:

> As I have said many times in many places... I am fed up driving along at 20MPH

Waaah

Average speed in outer London is 19.3mph. You're moaning about being kept to a speed limit in densely populated areas that's higher than the real average speed of traffic anyway. London has 8 million people and 2.6 million cars in it. You could remove every speed bump in the city and you're still not gonna be getting anywhere at 30mph.

Have to admit the amount of queuing traffic along Lordship Lane especially from Whateley Road to Goose Green and the first part of Dog Kennel Hill has increased, hence an increase in the length of bus journey times. I suspect this is one of the impacts LTN's are having. It is not possible to access the side roads along Grove Vale as they were made into LTN's. It causes general frustration that what we used to have has been removed and replaced with more inconvenience. The sooner these LTN's are removed the better. I feel especially sorry for the local businesses being impacted as a result.

Bus journeys on the number 37 have increased transiting East Dulwich Grove during rush-school run hours. So, during the time in which the usage is the highest. With no traffic at all it would take a vechicle around 3 minutes to drive down the whole of ED Grove (1 mile at 20 miles an hour), obviously with lights, stops and ?normal? traffic it is longer than that.

I was told that the number 37 bus now takes an extra 20 minutes to transit ED Grove, during the school run since the LTNs and that was from a Council official.

That?s 20 minutes more idling pollution from one individual bus.

march46 Wrote:

> Sorry I may have missed it but have bus journey

> times been published somewhere?

>

> Bus journey times along Lordship Lane could be

> improved significantly by freeing the bus lane of

> parked cars.

Here

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/publications-and-reports/buses-performance-data#on-this-page-4

TFL seems to thing thinks going Okay.

"The dual Covid19 impacts of reduced passenger numbers and less traffic disruption continued to have a boosting effect on reliability. Compared with Q4 a year ago, EWT was significantly improved and was better than Q3. Prior to the initial lockdown EWT had been slightly worse than the previous year though in general terms was still achieving some of the best ever results. Before the start of the pandemic inner London EWT had been improving whilst Outer London had recorded a deterioration. Covid restrictions have brought about significant improvements across all areas of London and the gradual return towards more normal levels during Q4 has also been similar across all areas of London. Punctuality of low frequency services also saw a similar boost due to the Covid19 impacts whilst night buses departing on time recorded record performance in Q4."

JohnL so if I understand that correctly, if there are increased delays on specific bus routes (37, 3), this would be going against the overall trend and to some extent underestimating the delays that would occur in a post- COVID scenario (as bus delays are still being discounted by the fact that reduced passenger numbers due to COVID speed up bus times)?

Ive lived on or near the No 3 bus route for 34 years. It has always been a case of no or 3 together, thats why I like to look at the electric displays at the bus stops. Now that the no 3 bus stop has been moved and no longer outside Brixton tube its hard to run up and down that stretch looking for a 37/196/3. More steps ..............