Complaining about traffic on Forest Hill Road

TonyQuinn

I was walking up from HOP station past the church on my right, and a bus must have come about 2 inches from me, as it came bombing down the hill. Because the road is so busy at rush hour, cars are squeezing through and all over the place trying to avoid speed bumps, buses and parked cars along the road.

I know its the other side of Forest Hill Road, but its so dangerous and frightening! Surely there should be some railings along the path for pedestrians to feel safer?

gpercival78 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ...Looks like school run issue has been resolved.

> Parents can now drop their kids off in the newly

> created a parking bays...on the pavement!! Scared

> the living be-jesus into me when walking on my

> merry way to the station...

My friend will be up there with his keys later.

Further confirmation that something needs to be done. Was struggling to cross the road with my son in his pram and the only way I could get across was a taxi driver stopping - to the annoyance of all behind - on the uphill part of the road until there was room from those coming down. This cannot be the right way. The top bit of Forest Hill Road incorporates five sets of traffic at one stage with no traffic calming, zebras anything. Cars are coming onto it from Wood Vale, Brenchley Gardens, Honor Oak Park and Honor Oak Road, not to mention Forest Hill Road itself. Come on Lewisham, come on Southwark, get something sorted. Renata can you give us an update on whether anything is getting through to anyone?

• 5 weeks later...
I walked back up the hill yesterday evening only to find that they had only been fixing and re-constructing some of the damaged "speed bumps" which are completely ineffective. Nice to see tax payers money being completely wasted. Grrrr....

I have decided now when I walked down the hill I will never do so on the One Tree Hill side. Too dangerous by far. The other day saw a lunatic white van driver veer onto the pavement. And we all know how narrow that pavement is. Walk against the traffic people, far safer by far. And all those who haven't and wish to please add this to the myriad of complaints that most local residents have as regards Forest Hill Road/Honor Oak Road/Honor Oak Rise. Names/emails in the opening thread.

Have their been any accidents on Honor Oak Park involving pedestrians?

I've lived here for 50+ years and am also unaware of any. I used to regularly twice a day walk to Honor Oak Park Station mornings and evenings from FHR and had no problems.

Dbboy, when did you "used" to walk up and down there regularly? Perhpaps it's worse now than it used to be. Do you walk the route regularly now? Do you have to walk up and down there with young children?

I don't know if there have been any accidents but we don't have to wait for an accident to happen before something is done. It's about preventing an accident from happening and about feeling safe.