Poppy appeal

Nigello

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I cannot find anywhere selling poppies - nothing

> at the library, no cafes in Dulwich Village, nor

> the post office there. Anyone else experienced

> this?

That's Right. Nothing in the Pub (EDT) No one on the street.

How Strange.

Have to think that Poppies are made of Plastic. ??

Has that got anything to do with it ? Millions of Small pieces of Plastic.. Not Good.

Foxy

There was a time, not that long ago, that practically every other shop or pub or civic amenity would sell them. Have we all got armed forces-shame? Are we anti plastic to such an extent that we won't buy them? Have the poppy pushers decided online sales for brooches, bags etc. with poppy motives are more valuable?

Plenty of opportunities for people who feel strongly about poppies to get involved with the Royal British Legion any time of year. I think the local branch is on Barry Road.

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/cards-results?tag=volunteer

Between social distancing and the collapse of commuting, I'd imagine it's got a lot harder to sell poppies at train stations etc over the last couple of years.

Yes, I am aware of buying online and I have made a contribution online. I was more interested in whether or not I was the only one to note an absence of sellers in and around here. I still think, despite the people saying they are being sold at X or Y location, there are much fewer places selling them.

I can't speak for this year, but in the past you needed to register with the British Legion (as a business that wanted to have poppies available in November) by January of the relevant year. If the process is the same, in Jan of this year we were in lockdown which may have affected things.

Hello everyone, my name is Paula and I am the Poppy Appeal Organiser for the Royal British Legion Dulwich Branch.

Firstly I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am saddened to hear that you are having difficulty obtaining poppies as we have been very busy over the last couple of months making up the boxes and delivering them throughout the area , something we have done for many years.

This is all done on a voluntary basis and every member on my small team feels very strongly about this charity.

Please can I ask that when you are in shops/pubs that you ask if they have a Poppy Box and Collecting tin as Covid has affected a lot of business some feel they no longer have the capacity to display these on their counters.

I can confirm that boxes have been delivered to premises in Dulwich Village and Lordship Lane, however not all businesses have agreed to hold them.

You can also purchase poppies from us, your local Royal British Legion Branch , 97 Barry Road, SE22 0HR everyday from 1pm.

We will also have a stall at Sainsbury's DKH from this Sat 6 Nov from 10-30am until early afternoon. We have various items including wooden crosses for use at Gravesides, Gardens or indoors.

If you would like to volunteer to become a Poppy Collector please email us at [email protected]

Thank you once again for supporting this worthy cause.

Paula

Very, very few people were wearing poppies on and around LL this morning. I found it rather disappointing, even more so than the fact fewer business owners are selling them. (The sorting office at Peckham was the only place I saw selling them on Friday.)

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Very, very few people were wearing poppies on and

> around LL this morning. I found it rather

> disappointing, even more so than the fact fewer

> business owners are selling them. (The sorting

> office at Peckham was the only place I saw selling

> them on Friday.)

Did you see the post from the RBL volunteer above about how you could pitch in to fix this? You're obviously quite disappointed.

I have pitched in, thanks for the prompt. I am also curious as to what others think, hence my post.(I also think that by raising the issue here I am highlighting it and may turn others' attention to it who otherwise would not have been thinking about it.)