Road Rage - Forest Hill Road - afternoon of Friday 10th December

Penguin68

Definitely encourage the person this happened to pursue the leaving the scene of an accident.

Myself and two friends were the victim of a deliberate hit and run whilst we were at university and whilst we thought it was assault etc the police told us the best we could get was dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident and the court took very dimly to leaving the scene as it was the only thing that could not be argued by the defendant (although he did try to argue he had no idea he had knocked three people into the air but watching him trying to argue that point when his rear window glass was missing and the three huge dents in the side of his car was hilarious).

What was the outcome Rocks?

Sidhue - fortunately most road users can share space and are courteous. My experience is generally, but not always, the aggressor is the driver. I've also experienced some bike on bike aggro....

Monkey - cheers, the recent incident was just bizarre/odd, in full view a driver nudged me at low speed. If it was to teach me some sort of lesson it would have made some sense. But not sure why he did it. I've had far worse, being left for dead in a hit and run in 97 on Red Post Hill (in those days the police would come round to your house after reporting such an incident), and knocked off by a hire box van a few years before in Kirkdale, who drove too close.

I don't want to be in a world where we go round with dsshboard or helmet cameras.

Malumbu - the guy got a load of points on his licence and we got a promise from the police who dealt with the incident that they would stalk him to get him on something that took him over his points limit so he would lose his licence.

The guy was living with his parents and when the police turned up at his house his mum was claiming that he wouldn't do something like that the policeman took her outside to show her the car with a missing rear windscreen and three big dents in it and her mood changed so I suspect the points were the least of his worries!

But it was ludicrous that someone could deliberately drive into three people and not even get a ban - but that's the legal system for you.

I used to ride a motorbike to work and it was great for on call duties. I used to get it from both sides. Terrible car drivers - just the usual 'didn't see you', cars deliberately doing that slow driving into the back of your bike thing and on a shared bus/bike/motorbike lane a cyclist tried to push me off my motorbike whist I was waiting at a red light...I think they didn't know it was a shared lane so just got angry..but so, so dangerous to push someone off a motorbike.

I was always my calmest on the motorbike - I have sensed that creeping anger on a push-bike and also that car irritation at others poor driving/cycling/motorbiking - but trying to cause another person harm is beyond me.

Why calm on a motorbike - because I recognised the danger of riding a big bike, so I never wanted to 'lose-it' - so easy to do something dumb and end up very much dead.

Car drivers need to remember that a car is deadly to others and drive with due consideration to ALL users of our roads.

Monkey.

FAce to Face meetings of SNT were supposed to have re commenced Sept/Oct for Dulwich Hill ward, but nothing happened. Found out later that Gavin and Mark had been moved to another patch and it was not until Simon came into the Bread of Life cafe that we were aware of this. There was also very poor 'attendance' over zoom meetings - I think the last one in the summer just had the 2 officers, myself and 2 other people.

I may be wrong but I don?t think we readers have got any idea if the Foresthill rd cyclist has contacted the police.

My daughter, who pointlessly, as it turned out, reported the attack 'in real time' as it were, to the police certainly doesn't know - she provided her pictures (off her phone) to the victim. I suspect he may have been too shocked to do so. Even with pictures of the incident and the registration number I very much doubt (other than some boiler plate from 'victim support') that much, if anything, will be done about it.

What is driving your doubt? Is it just stuff you read, you hear, or is it evidence-based? I am keen to know because I think that sometimes some people (not necessarily you, no idea) just take what they hear and don't look for proof to back it up. Maybe you are right, maybe you are wroing, but I am more likely to believe someone who offers evidence, even if I don't want to agree with what I find.

What is driving your doubt? Is it just stuff you read, you hear, or is it evidence-based?

I reported a break-in next door (to which the police did attend) - I provided the police with photographs of the young men actually breaking in, and taking stuff away - a neighbour took photographs of the get-away vehicle - all were provided to the police who in fact did trace the vehicle, but didn't then pursue the case - my photographs and my neighbours being 'insufficient' for them to make the case. The value of the stolen goods was in fact low, so it wasn't worth their effort.

In this road rage case the police did not ask for any ID of the victim, or the car, relying on the victim, at some later stage, to report the case. They certainly have never followed up with my daughter, who was a witness and who provided her contact details to the police. This does suggest a certain lack of interest.

From experience, a lot of crime is not dealt with as there is no capacity- many times the police do not attend - there is no point- so they give you a crime ref number and that?s it. Their numbers have been depleted over many years (we all protested about the closure of the ED police station to no avail) . A bit like how we all predicted what would happen when the ED post office sorting office would close. The horrific reporting of this particular occurrence and lack of police interest says it all.