Bikes - night Thefts from back gardens Barry Rd & Hindmans Rd

Night of 12 December 2021 - 3 good pushbikes stolen from back gardens of 58-60 Barry Road, accessing from rear garden, probably parking area at 85 Hindmans Road.

Previously other thefts - bikes etc from garden sheds Hindmans Rd

1 stolen bike was Giant model Defy 2, Size XL, Black & Red

Shimano dual pedals

Any information re bikes for sale / intrusions - welcome

Search gumtree and e-bay, inform the TFL/Met bike team (although I worry that they have been disbanded https://www.london.gov.uk/questions/2019/6245 ), Report on stolen bike website https://stolen-bikes.co.uk/ and if not done in future register your bikes https://www.bikeregister.com/stolen-bikes

My sympathies, I've had bikes stolen over the years - last was up for sale on Gumtree the evening it was nicked and there was nothing I could do (I did call but they denied anything about the bike).

• 2 weeks later...

The criminals have absolutely no fear at all.

Proper law abiding people living with their possessions in East Dulwich must be like Christmas coming every day.

Posting a PHOTO of the item with their mobile number the same day!

Don?t wanna sound super right wing but theft fell to near zero under the new Taliban regime out in Afghanistan. Local business owners & traders (even non regime supporters) are delighted. Just trying to illustrate by real world example what works & what does NOT work. FACT.

Attention politicians, crime commissioner & met police! What?s that? Oh sorry, you?re very busy online enforcing ?equality? on Facebook, ah ok, so sorry 🙄

Probably not good to get into the hang them and flog them conversation, or the more extreme Sharia law version/Old Testament (I expect other fundamental ideologies are also available.

For every stolen item there is a buyer, and I expect most who buy knock off bikes are relatively law abiding people who decide not to question the source of a bargain. Bad karma both to the thieves and buyers.

I've had three bikes stolen in London and one of my early threads here was on the last of them, as the thief kindly left a contact number on Gumtree.

Best we can do is try to reduce the likelihood with locks, other physical means and alarms. It's frustrating that more isn't done to crack down on this, but such is life.

Remember that early Tony Blair policy?

?Three strikes you?re out?.3 x theft/ burglary convictions they get automatic life sentence?

Wonder whatever happened to that lol?

Probably 90% of some boroughs would have ended up locked up.

Still, your sheds bicycles cars garages homes would be safe, plus a lot of wrong uns would be exactly where they deserve to be. Think three chances is very generous.

Fast forward to now? the Katy Price Court sentence/ convicted Romanian criminals put out on our streets because ?Romanian prison cells are too small?. Staggering.

Maybe we should have a ?help yourself? day every month where we hand out stuff to the criminals so we don?t get our locks or properties damaged.

You might have done a cursory google before you declared it false dog kennel 🙄

Used to be active in ?New Labour? party so it?s not some fantasy.

Used to be ?before the war crime of Iraq etc etc etc, then I & the others with at least one braincell copped on before correctly rescinding our affiliation.

But back to the issue was very a much a manifesto policy, Tony B Liar was popular at the time & the policy (rightly or wrongly) was also popular. We can?t afford to lock up EVEN the serious violent criminals or terrorists so agree never going to work. Or even it seems Tony who IS (by judgement of 87% of public) guilty of being a war criminal.

dog kennel maybe you gotta workable solution to out-of-control bike thefts in ED? Or you are super happy with everything ?just as it is?. 😌

3 strikes Burglary Law in the UK under Tony B Liar

FROM THE GUARDIAN ARCHIVE

?

UK news

Three strikes anti-burglary policy comes into force

The government's crime reduction strategy

Wed 1 Dec 1999 13.32 GMT

From now on, burglars convicted of breaking into private homes three times will be sentenced to a minimum of three years in jail.

The measure, which was first introduced by the Conservatives, is implemented by the home secretary Jack Straw. It is expected to swell the prison population by 4,000-5,000 over the next ten years.

?

?Life sentence? in fact was 3 years, my error.

Although come to think of it it?s the same thing. 😜

Now facts established. Back to my point, whatever happened to it?

Okay, so not a life sentence but 3 years, not a Labour law but a Tory one, not a manifesto pledge, not for theft generally but just got burglary...and a "cursory Google" would have told you what's happened to this policy. It's, err, being applied, burglars are being sentenced to 3 year minimums, and - - burglaries are still happening. Guess it must not be a magic bullet after all.

If you look at repeat burglars, they tend to be either organised pros or addicts and fuckups trying to grab something to sell for their next bottle or wrap. Still harsher sentences might dissuade some of the first category - but there aren't many of them. The second category won't be dissuaded by harsher sentences as long as the addiction and mental illness is overwhelming their common sense. Look at this lot:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/burglars-intruders-homes-businesses-misery-22421909.amp

You asked what is going to reduce the level of burglary - the answer isn't something short, sexy and butch. It's boring, slow and unglamorous. You could spend a lifetime trying to work out what's effective - and thankfully some people do - but have a look at the diagrams at the bottom of the first page for a snapshot:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/works-reduce-crime-summary-evidence/pages/2/

Scottish paper is interesting in particular the societal/environmental factors which shape behaviour where the focus needs to be. Yes it sounds liberal and wishy washy, but more effective than the hang them and flog them brigade. This interesting documentary/panel discussion has some good solutions.

dog kennel

3 strikes & out policy

How can you brand it a Tory policy when the Guardian article clearly states it was enthusiastically implemented by NEW LABOUR Home Secretary jack straw.

You are one of those people who can never admit you were wrong lol

20 years ago was a long time ago yet it appears I remember the details well? given all mention of this vanished without a trace in the media or online for that matter.

People strung out on drug addictions do not care about anything just their next fix. Agree. Stiff jail sentence in prisons where there are zero access to any drug (or even cigarettes or coffee like in the USA) might make them think twice. Maybe a drug addict bike thief should also lose their council flat if convicted of 3 offences. Or 1 offence! There are lots of options.

In Afghanistan despite starvation theft was eradicated in 24 hours by threat of amputation.

Point I?m making there is always something that will act as a deterrent, by this example which is obviously OTT.

The lax soft touch approach here is literally asking them to do it. So guess what, they?ll happily oblige.

These types of chaotic people you describe are DESPERATE for boundaries. Ergo give them the boundaries in the form of penalties tougher not softer.

For their benefit for our benefit!!!

Getting into current affairs a bit, but this does DIRECTLY affects us living in ED. This is DIRECTLY why people are going out of area, climbing over fences into our private gardens while we are sleeping yards away, cutting off our bikes/property & then selling them in our faces online THE SAME DAY.

Maybe you can afford to keep buying new bikes every year so you are happy to give up to say nothing works in which case good for you!

One thing that would help re bike thefts is removing the ease of second hand market place selling. Eg all online sales could have to enter the frame number and prove it wasn?t registered as stolen. If this was a precondition of selling on eBay, gumtree, marketplace then it would make it less easy to flip bikes. Would also increase understanding from purchasers that you can and should check that a bike isn?t stolen before buying.

Brideshead Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Stiff

> jail sentence in prisons where there are zero

> access to any drug (or even cigarettes or coffee

> like in the USA) might make them think twice.

It may disappoint you to learn that there are actually quite a few burglaries in the US, despite them imprisoning more than 4 times as many people than the UK does.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/incarceration-rates-by-country

Maybe you can afford to keep paying more tax to keep more people in prison every year despite mandatory minimum sentences achieving nothing in which case good for you!

But what WOULD be the burglary rate in the USA without the strict incarceration policies of many states?

Quite arguably many many many times higher.

You can?t compare the UK & USA as though they were identical in such a crude way. Like comparing apples & oranges. Crime rates massively affected by all sorts of variable including age demographics (hint: read Freakonomics).

Homer Simpson would probably have an adept word for your statement dog kennel?

Ahhh? The old selective quotations out of context.

The well worn last refuge of the person who lost the argument.

Afghanistan CAN be a useful measure because in so far as it is so extreme.

That is even the starving will refrain from theft if penalties are harsh enough. That?s all it would lend weight to nothing else.

Thought obvious but there you go.

Simple.

Because some can-never-be-wrong attention-seeker has to aggressively argue against ?maybe stronger penalties & enforcement will deter lowlife jumping into our gardens at night on the rob?

The type that has to have the last say on everything on every topic.

And, that brow-beater type that is usually totally unemployable.

IMHO