The old Mag Pub on Lordship Lane (The Patch)

gazza_g

I don't get it. Why would I give money I've worked for to someone setting up a commercial venture even if it is ?independent? and a ?community? based business and I don't get a stake. I must be missing something here so I would be grateful if someone would enlighten me.

Sounds like an expensive way to eat out and of sorting out your groceries! Seriously though, why would you want to subsidise someone else's business? And Jeremy, you sound like you have some sort of interest. Regardless, no more from me on this.

In answer to the question, why pledge?

I think it depends on the individual. Personally I liked The Mag as it was 12-18 months ago - good food and a nice environment to have a drink. If pledging a sum that I felt comfortable with (which of course will vary from person to person) means that we retain that, then that would be my motivation. I wouldn't classify it as a subsidy, just an investment in the community for which I hope to get a (non-monetary) return. If I get a couple of drinks and herbs / groceries thrown in then I'm probably better off than when I usually go to the pub in the evening!

Personally I'm not too keen on The Mag showing football etc but that is only my view and I'm sure that many will disagree.

Whilst I do think Sue's questions are fair and do need answering, on balance I would have called Green and Blue a local independent but I guess that they ultimatly don't own the freehold of the building they were in, they will most likely have been leaseholders, as with many of the local independents. A pub operating from a leasehold premises could therefore also, in theory, be classified and treated as an independent. The lack of brewrey pricing tie is obvioulsy a step towards this but what the actual terms of the lease/deal are would define this particular business' status.

Why pledge? That's personal, of course, but for me it's about being able to help an idea I like come to fruition. Patch is the third crowdfunding project I've contributed to. The first was for a bike light that projects a laser image of cyclist onto the road in front of the cyclist so that drivers of trucks and buses can see that there is a cyclist there. It was such a popular idea that it met its target twice over. Arguably that project has a broader appeal than The Patch so it's in my interests to get the word out to neighbours who might want to benefit from the project and to promote it on social media - hence my comment on their FB site.

Sorry AlecJohnMoore - what was your "hence my comment on their FB site" then? Isn't this more about getting a good veggie set up at a good, or what could be a good, eating venue in ED - lets keep the posts to that and not about cycling!

Hmm, I think we are at cross purposes here, PandG. I made a positive comment about The Patch on their Facebook site and I was referring to that and the importance of getting more people aware of the project, pointing them in the direction of the Kickstarter site and encouraging more people to pledge. I don't see what that has to do with cycling.

ETA the bike light reference was to a project that people saw as a good idea. The communications by the project people on the progress of their idea's development and the take up by supporters was clear, enthusiastic and engaging.