Kids spelling crazy for Mencap (please read)

Clair47

Hi,

Imagine if everyone who reads this donated just ?1.00.

I entered Elfrida Primary School pupils into a fabulous spellathon competition to raise money for Mencap (the charity that helps people with a learning disability) back in November. I never realised how much our pupils would love to spell, but so far they have managed to spell 319,253 words correctly. They are in first place with a huge lead of over 130,000 words on any other school in the world! The competition ends this Friday 23/3/13.

I am putting in a last attempt to raise as much as I can for Mencap. So far on our just giving page we have raised ?1580.

I follow their progress daily and encourage the children to keep them spelling. I have organised lots of events to help raise funds and keep their interest, but there is only so much I can keep asking parents & staff for.

That's why I'm putting this on here. Please click on our just giving page link below and see the fun our children have had. The children have been absolutely brilliant with their dedication & enthusiasm to spell. I just want them to win the champion fundraising title for their hard earned(spelled) efforts, they truly deserve it, and so do Mencap for devising such superb spelling competition for children.

We help Mencap and Mencap help us spell.

Please be part of it.

https://www.justgiving.com/Elfrida-Primary-School-Spellathon

Take a look at our link before it ends this Friday 23/3/13

Thank you

You can also text a donation:

Text to: 70070

Followed by HIVE63

Then amount ?1

or ?1, ?2, ?3, ?5 or ?10 etc

www.mencap.org.uk/get-involved/take-part-event/schools-and-universities/spellathon

would b a more appropriate link

good for the school to be participating altho would be interesting to know how many of elfridas parents have donated as the amount is rather impressive given the financial background of many who attend this lewisham school.

im not stirring any stereotypical views just saying it how it is thru first hand experience

In reply to the above. Nearly all of our parents have donated by their children taking part in the activities I have organised to raise funds for the school, and sponsor forms are being returned this week.

Our pupils have worked so hard! What is wrong with putting our link to hopefully raise more money for Mencap? Our pupils have raised awareness of Mencap's great work and spellathon as they were featured in local newspapers for our their brilliant achievements on behalf of Mencap.

Think how proud they will be if they can become the best fundraising school for Mencap just by spelling their hearts out. So I do think our link is appropriate because what they have done so far is amazing, our just giving page is set up by Mencap and donations go immediately to them. To date they have now spelt 325,215 words correctly and have remained the top spelling school since 22/11/12. With many of our pupils in the top ten on various leaderboards, one of which is in 1st place, spelling 47,368 words. Our pupils are taking what they are doing for Mencap seriously whilst enjoying it at the same time. They deserve a huge credit, seems spelling isn't every child's favourite and the majority of ours just don't want to stop.

im not sayimg anything is wrong or bad as i said good for them i do have queries though - how many schools have participated for instance?

and no not all the money goes to mencap as their site advices schools get in return 25% of the donations. again im not saying this is bad. im just intrigued by the whole set up

Yes I agree they've done well so far and it's great blah blah blah but I'm not too keen on not sponsoring a local achievement. It's like sponsoring a complete stranger I have no connection with what so ever to run the marathon. It's a shame local schools haven't gotten involved or if they have more awareness hasn't been made.