Advice re after school childcare - how easy to find?

EmmaCC

Just wanting a bit of advice from mums or dads who have been through this already - my daughter starts school in September - hopefully at one within walking distance of our house in Forest Hill. My 2 year old son is currently in a nursery - which we have to drive to. I am thinking about trying to move him to a nursery really close to home and v close to my daughter's school. The only issue being that the hours at the new nursery are term time 9-4. Drop offs are fine as my husband and I can sort between us but we are likely to need someone two nights a week to collect my daughter from school at 3,30 and then my son from nursery afterwards so probably 3.30-6.30. Is it realistic that I will find someone willing to just do 2 evenings a week and only for a few hours each evening? We can offer babysitting in the evenings and more hours in the school holidays (daren't even think about how we're going to cover all of those at the moment!).. I know it's a bit of a random question but would love to hear anyones view - the alternative is that I leave my son where he is and my daughter can go in the after school club BUT I would much rather drop them both off locally and don't see the point in paying for my son to be in nursery 52 weeks a year when I'll need to arrange care for my daughter during the school holidays anyway.....Thanks in advance!

You are never going to know unless you try asking. It could just be the sort of arrangement someone is looking for. Good you have the fall back of same nursery and after school club. Once you are in the childcare loop you hear of all bizarre arrangements and you get to know more providing non-standard requests. Good luck.

It might be worth thinking about after-school club for your daughter in any event. When my daughter started school in September I was sure that the childminder she had been with for a year was the right answer for after school care and it is where her brother would be. I have found though that she has outgrown it very quickly and wants to be with her friends not with the babies... My son still loves the childminder and has a lovely time with his two little friends.

Hi im a childminder and have various arrangements with parents.

Some are after school pickups only, others termtime only and another only school holidays. Decide what will work best for you then look for a minder who will fit in with your plans.

I started off using a nanny to solve a similar issue but very quickly realised that my daughters LOVED the afterschool club. In addition to the normal child-care based ASC (where they do lots of activities such as cooking, IT, dvds, arts and crafts, football), there are also after-school clubs at many schools such as half hour ballet lessons, cookery, french etc.

They are at school in Forest Hill. Their ASC finishes at 5.45pm which can be a pain as 6.30pm would be easier but they are really happy, warm and comfortable there and well cared for.