Flat ownership and house extension

Most of the 'side return' extensions done on ED semi-detached houses have I think been done by people who own the whole house. In my case I own just the upper flat, and share the freehold of the house with the owner of the lower flat, who wants to extend that.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Are there any particular issues or problems that have arisen or might do so? And if I need professional advice, any recommendations?

A small fry point. I'm sure others will post with more substantially important info....

Without knowing your flat layout a practical question - will you still be able to clean your windows? Sounds riddiculous, but like you, I'm above someone else's flat and am not sure how I'd be able to if they added a side return.

HP

Hello, I was in a similar situation five years ago with a joint freeholder in a building with two flats. Without going into too much detail the other flat who are organizing the extension should pay for architect's drawings and a structural engineer's report for you before you consent. An extension should get approval from Southwark planning and you should be aware when the extension is happening (they usually take 3-6 months) you will be living on a building site with dust and noise. A party wall agreement will need to be prepared as they are likely to cut into walls you both share and could cause damage in your flat. Also, you should be aware that an extension may take away your right to access the back of the house and access to roof/window/brickwork. I think you said you are a joint freeholder, so you have the right to say no but that comes with consequences. The couple who wanted to do the extension five years ago, have been annoyed they couldn't extend and bullying me ever since, which has been really difficult since I live alone.

My thoughts...

- You should insist that the roof can take enough weight to walk on, and not be fully glazed, to ensure access for maintenance.

- If your contractual obligations are that you share all roof repairs 50/50, you might want to try to renegotiate this

- This work will DEFINITELY cause movement of the back half of the building. You will probably need repairs, redecoration, doors re-hung, etc over the back portion of your flat. This should be agreed up front. Take lots of photos before the work starts. Builders are often quite dodgy and might deny that this will happen... don't be fooled.

I don't think there's a guarantee of movement (the structure/fabric of the pre-existing building being made to move by the addition of a side return extension).

There may well be settling cracks from new works done, but that happens on any floor where structural works undertaken, and is more likely to occur in the new area to be built, rather than untouched adjacent pre-existing building.