Egyptian goose attacked by dog off lead in Peckham park

I hope whoever was responsible reads this thread and fully realises what they've done!

V glad he's doing well. Shame the mum can't be relocated to live with her partner once the young have grown, given they mate for life.

HP

I agree. Every time I'm in the park, the female is sitting on the fence staring into the trees as though waiting for her mate to return. Egyptian geese mate for life, and it is well documented that geese who lose a mate mourn for a long time, if not forever, and often stop eating. Unfortunately these birds have very recently been put on the list of 'invasive species', and yes 'they are only birds', but would it really be so hard to either return the male to the park, or relocate the female to the sanctuary where her mate is when the young geese are old enough?

They really need to be reunited it's unfair to separate them as they do mate for life.

The whole idea was to rescue rehabilitate and return, having a gait issue surley should not prevent his return are we sure there's not another reason.

hpsaucey wrote:

> I hope whoever was responsible reads this thread and fully realises what they've done!

hellosailor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the chances that the dog reads the forum

> are slim.

The owner reads ... not the dog. Who'd hold the dog responsible???

HP

Poor baby, this is heartbreaking! Is there any way at all the male can be returned?? If it?s a case of it being illegal I?m happy to collect him an transport him once his better at my own risk, the female looks so sad! I hope the totally irresponsible dog owner sleeps well knowing letting their dog off the lead has caused so much damage an upset to our wildlife.

cassidy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Whoever removed him to be treated needs to do more

> to reunite the family as it is unfair to both to

> allow them to be separated permanently surely

> something can be done

Completely agree. Can we do a petition?

Birds generally have lots of babies but most don't make it to adulthood. That's nature for you. A petition is totally out of proportion, yes it's sad but there are bigger things to worry about and causes to fight for.

I saw all three young ones yesterday, although one seems to have split off and was hanging out away from the family group.

Whilst there, I was watching the Canada Geese goslings picking at the grassy area across the path, when a smallish off lead dog rushed towards them and made a grab. Luckily they all made it back through the railings unscathed, but it was a close call for one of them. Owner was very unconcerned and just strode past!

Banning all dogs because one bird of a pest species was wounded by one dog seems a tiny bit of an exaggerated response but typical of lazy and reflexive thinking these days, helped a lot by the ubiquity of social media. Leads on, by all means, but a ban...well, not really .

Maybe if they gated off this area and had big signs on each gate, it would make this area a more secure area for the ducks and wildlife in that area. They have sectioned other areas of the park like rose garden, playground, and gated stream area where the huts used to be. They are also in the process of redesigning the seated area near the duck pond. At the moment it's just a walk through, maybe a redesign might make dog walkers stop and think before opening the gate with their dogs.

No, Nigello. It's not a step too far to protect wildlife.

It's a step too far to expect that people walking their dogs can go anywhere they like.

Dogs tend to have a chase instinct and not that many people can control their dogs as they should be able to.

I'm all for a fenced off area.

There are plenty of places I take my dog and keep away from the ponds. It's not hard at all.

The reasonable solution, for which there is already existing legislation including control orders, is in the form of PSPOS. Dogs should be kept on a short lead on all paved areas and certain planted areas, if they are not they can be ordered to be or fined for non-compliance. Wholesale bans will not work as dogs and their owners are probably the most regular and intensive all year round park users. Peer pressure and a degree of self- policingfrom fellow dog owners and dog walkers might help.

Getting a bit daft now. We need to ban all pets that chase other animals. Starting with cats who kill birds and mice. Although I understand that they are not responsible for bird numbers generally declining. Fundamentally there is an argument that we should not keep any pets. But that isn't going to happen in the real world

Exactly - Pets have advantages for owners and wider society but they also have disadvantages. The idea that all pets are a very good thing is nonsense as is the idea of banning leashed dogs from public property. If you?re very concerned about ecology and the environment then don?t get a pet and save tonnes of carbon and reduce gosling menacing at the same time.