Stolen car registration plates

Last night we had both car reg plates stolen off our car on Derwent Grove in the middle of the night.

This has been reported to the police and insurance company, but we?re obviously expecting a whole load of admin off the back of this (speeding tickets etc?)

Anyone else had this happen recently?

Yes, had an attempted theft of plates when my car was temporarily parked up on Wood Vale. I came to back to my car I noticed that the front plate was hanging down at one side and the other from the rear was on the floor nearby. Obviously I had disturbed them when the theft was in progress.

It seems the perps go after popular older cars such as my 10 year old silver grey Zafira.

I since ordered a set of 4 anti theft clutch security screws and re-attached them.

I would advise everyone to do the same. Only cost ?3.

Had my plates stolen few years ago and no extra admin involved. Reg plates are linked to the brand of car (including colour) so I guess once you have reported to police you shouldn?t have any penalties unless yours plates will be used on the same type of car, which is very unlikely.

Reg plates are linked to the brand of car (including colour) so I guess once you have reported to police you shouldn?t have any penalties unless yours plates will be used on the same type of car, which is very unlikely.

Thieves aren't entirely dumb - they're normally stolen to order for exactly the same type of car. That way any random roadside ANPR check comes back (on the face of it) entirely legit. If you put the plates from a blue Discovery onto a silver Transit, it'll get picked up very quickly - if you put them on another blue Discovery, chances are you'll get away with quite a lot.

This has been reported to the police and insurance company, but we?re obviously expecting a whole load of admin off the back of this (speeding tickets etc?)

Put a tracker on your car. It'll save a load of admin if you have something reporting in to your mobile phone and you can prove where it was at any given time. Also, take any photos of anything unique - custom alloys, any dents/scratches/go-faster stripes/windscreen stickers etc - anything that would make your car stand out even slightly from another one of the same make / model. If you get a speeding ticket and you can easily show that your car has a sticker in the rear window and the culprit car doesn't, that's a dead giveaway.

A friend had her plates cloned a long time ago. Reported it and then she got pulled over by the police about 8 times in the following 3 months. They never managed to pull over the cloned car though... Absolutely identical make, model and colour.

exdulwicher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Reg plates are linked to the brand of car

> (including colour) so I guess once you have

> reported to police you shouldn?t have any

> penalties unless yours plates will be used on the

> same type of car, which is very unlikely.

>

> Thieves aren't entirely dumb - they're normally

> stolen to order for exactly the same type of car.

> That way any random roadside ANPR check comes back

> (on the face of it) entirely legit. If you put the

> plates from a blue Discovery onto a silver

> Transit, it'll get picked up very quickly - if you

> put them on another blue Discovery, chances are

> you'll get away with quite a lot.

>

> This has been reported to the police and insurance

> company, but we?re obviously expecting a whole

> load of admin off the back of this (speeding

> tickets etc?)

>

> Put a tracker on your car. It'll save a load of

> admin if you have something reporting in to your

> mobile phone and you can prove where it was at any

> given time. Also, take any photos of anything

> unique - custom alloys, any

> dents/scratches/go-faster stripes/windscreen

> stickers etc - anything that would make your car

> stand out even slightly from another one of the

> same make / model. If you get a speeding ticket

> and you can easily show that your car has a

> sticker in the rear window and the culprit car

> doesn't, that's a dead giveaway.

>

> A friend had her plates cloned a long time ago.

> Reported it and then she got pulled over by the

> police about 8 times in the following 3 months.

> They never managed to pull over the cloned car

> though... Absolutely identical make, model and

> colour.

Yes - the idea is to ?clone? the same make/ model and colour car. We had a dealership marking on one of the number plates which we had luckily noticed and had a photo of and provided to the police (who weren?t that interested) and to TFL etc for congestion charges etc which came in as the number plate links back to the registered keeper per DVLA.

Good luck

Because they steal plates for the exactly match their car (Make/mode/colour/etc) the best thing to do to thwart them is to have some feature that makes your car unique. It need only be a roof rack, stripes or sticker inside the front and rear windows.

That way when you get stopped and accused of, say , filling up without paying, y=they can check the CCTV against your car and you will be safe.

A totally non-descript popular model car in a common colour is at risk. Create some differentiating feature and you will be safe.

> Create some differentiating

> feature and you will be safe.

For some value of (FSVO) 'safe'. It'll probably be a good safeguard against persevering attempts to wrestle penalty charges etc out of you. Agsinst theft or cloning or the issuing of penalty notices, I'm more doubtful. If there were some information-emitter that would provide authoritative indication that an observed car was probably using cloned or stolen plates, things might, possibly, be different.

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If there were some

> information-emitter that would provide

> authoritative indication that an observed car was

> probably using cloned or stolen plates, things

> might, possibly, be different.

OK, aircraft have such " information-emitters" with their ID transponders but can you image the outrage from the civil libertarians if cars were fitted with such devices.

Better to have simple visual differentiators that would be visible on CCTV so you can have plausible deniability when challenged.

Out of interest what kind of car is it?

We had a black Range Rover turn up in our street around that time that has clearly been dumped. The doors are unlocked and there is a set of number plates on the back seat that don?t match the ones on the car. Also packages on the seats etc.

I guess it has false plates on it and has been used for a crime and then dumped.

I?ve reported it but the council say ?as it?s taxed we don?t consider it to be abandoned? 🙄. Obv it?s taxed, they are false plates.

Anyway if your plates are from a black Range Rover, they?re here 😃