Local state schools - at what age do you register?

Pickle

OK, so reading all the posts about schools has got me wondering (and worried!)... at what age are you supposed to make contact with your local school and get your children on their radar? Our local school is Goodrich. My little one is only 15 months old, so I'm assuming I've got years yet before I have to think about it?!

Thanks!

You should keep an eye on the Southwark website under the schools section as that tells you when parents of children born between x and y dates need to apply. Start keeping an eye on it when your child is 3.

In terms of starting state primary school you apply by the end of January for the following Sept/Jan intake (some schools have two intakes) and your child will be approaching their 4th birthday (or may have just turned 4) when you make the application.

Some primary schools have nursery places, so these are applied for earlier.

If you're wanting them to go to the nursery there you apply directly to the school and I would do this now rather than waiting. They may (although it's unlikely due to oversubscription) get a part-time place from the term after their third birthday. At least then it's done and you're in the system. As said above primary applications are done centrally but nursery applications by each school. Two seperate systems.

I may not have been clear, but the link I provided above takes you directly to a page with a downloadable guide which tells you what you need to do and has lists of all the local schools with nursery classes (Heber, Goodrich, Goose Green, St Anthony's etc) and their contact details. It's divided into two parts:

Part 1: Starting Nursery or Primary School - Part 1

Part 2: Starting Nursery or Primary School - Part 2