Anyone with an actual long term vision/plan for the UK?

TheCat

Rats in the sack latest....

Widespread dismay at the fact that 3 years of work has effectively been put on hold. No one asked for this.

C4 sale, online safety, BBC licence feee review - all signed off by cabinet all ready to go, all stopped. If Liz wants a whole new mandate, she must take to the country. - Nadine Dorries

is it weird that Dorries is citing C4 privatisation as being wrecked by Truss (which wasn't in 2019 manifesto) whilst arguing that Truss hasn't a mandate for her own manifesto?

Not weird because Dorries is an amoral, Borislicking idiot. Remember she's the MP who appeared on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here whilst be paid by us to be an MP.

It's hard to imagine how she ever got so far in politics.

She backed Truss along with Rees Mogg and now she's smarting from the fact she was kicked out of cabinet so now she's gunning for Truss.

Amoral the lot of them.

Well under Johnson and previous governments we did have some long term plans; improving air quality, moving to zero carbon, and increasing biodiversity.

Sometimes they lacked substance and/or funding, but at least they were there

Expect us to go backwards on all these in favour of foreign businesses queueing up in anticipation of scrapping regulations and rewarding greed, greater consumerism, fossil fuel extraction and removing checks and balances on planning

I am curious

News media and the markets are today expecting a u-turn on the mini budget the other day.

But what exactly are they looking for.

The proposed reduction of the 45p rate has already been dropped which leaves 4 main categories

1. Not implementing a rise in corporation tax from 19 to 25%

2. The changes to stamp duty

3. The removal of the IR35 rules

4. The removal of the NI increase to support social care

Is it one specific element, a combination or all four? It's not clear from news media what exactly will satisfy everyone at the moment and I suspect that whatever happens there will now be winners and losers (for example cancelling the stamp duty changes will see people who thought they could buy suddenly finding they can't which could crash the market just as easily as rising interest rates)

Regardless its going to be interesting to see what happens and what actually calms things down again

"But what exactly are they looking for."

I think the answer to this is "not them. and not anyone else in their group"

Same as the country really. Even if a good idea percolates up from this cast of bandits, the whole country just wants shot of them

No way can this stagger on for two years (and if it does because "no mechanism" then we will all be grimly worse off for it)

Short to medium term plan, Truss to screw up country, Labour to get in, make a mess eg infighting, squabbles with Scots, underwhelming leader, and Tories to come back even more right wing. Meanwhile big business, hedge funds etc to continue to benefit.

Just this week I've confirmed that for work reasons I will be moving to Australia early next yeat

For some reason, now seemed an appropriate juncture to pull the ripcord...

Best of luck edf and UK plc.... Things do not look rosey....

whilst most countries are facing headwinds, do you genuinely, honestly think UK hasn't screwed itself (and others) by erecting trade barriers to it's neighbours? You think the dimwits in charge now would be in charge if we were still in EU

You are one not paying attention - but trust me - when these headwinds pass, and uk is stable again? it will at very least be back in single market

meanwhile you come over, barge around with the same nonsense opinions as Truss/Minford and all then f&&k off? And you think "so long suckers - it would be just as bad if you were still in "the club" is some kind of killer line?

Reprehensible

I am responsible for Brexit😂😂😂

Yes it was me. I did it... Of course I had a little help from around 17million friends... Not just once, but also in two GEs....

For the crime of being 1 person amongst 17million who voted a certain way 6 years ago.... I should definitely be banned from leaving the country....

Well I guess The New Chancellor has answered my question.

Virtually everything has been reversed including the two year energy support package.

The only things that survived are the cut to stamp duty and the NI increase.

And I don't they are safe either.

Looks like it's going to be a bumpy ride for everyone now and a possible return to austerity to pay for Ukraine and covid.

Fingers crossed it helps control inflation.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/17/jeremy-hunt-liz-truss-budget-trussonomics

An extreme cynic and conspiracy theorist might say that the tories have played an absolute blinder here... Rolling out liz to recklessly slash taxes and give away more borrowed money... Then completely balls up the communication of that as well, so that even voters who would ordinarily love lower taxes and 3 years of extremes of energy bills paid for, are now sh1t scared of 'the market'..... Such that now even the Graun and various leftwing commentators seem to be uncomfortably accepting things like the NI increase, and the need for austerity.....

George Osborne take note....

brexiteer and conspiracy theorists? Perish the thought

from @essexpr

"I think we could be seeing a serious remain, EU coup, facilitated by very high up friends in the markets, banks, political spectrum & billionaire philanthropists.

The installation of Jeremy Hunt makes no sense from anyway you look at it.

He was in Brussels last week."

Mind you they thought pencils were being used in referendum itself so they could be rubbed away