Where do we now go? Tandoori nights closing

Jamming

My wife and I are very sad to hear about the closing of Tandoori nights and we wish Mr. Munir all the best. We are definitely going to miss the Green Chicken Handi as we thought this was just the best curry ever. However this creates a (first world) problem. Where do we now go? Looking for great recommendations to replace our favourite curry house and restaurateur.

We have tried them all over the decades, and we currently like Mirash, just off the roundabout on the way to the station.

Their mains are very good, however sadly the Sunday buffet is not great, especially if you don't eat meat.

It's often very quiet, which is sad, but it's off the main drag so presumably overlooked and less likely to get passing trade.

if you want a curry try this one the price's are out of this world .... if any one can beat them for value i would like to know we have at least 2 a week just click on the link and see the cost of your takeaway

https://www.chefonline.co.uk/spices-peckham-south-east-london-se15/menu

Well the prices are certainly cheap, but one wonders why.

What is the quality of their ingredients, and how much do they pay their staff?

if you want a curry try this one the price's are out of this world .... if any one can beat them for value i would like to know we have at least 2 a week just click on the link and see the cost of your takeaway

https://www.chefonline.co.uk/spices-peckham-south-east-london-se15/menu

Well the prices are certainly cheap, but one wonders why.

What is the quality of their ingredients, and how much do they pay their staff?

Well most of the curry houses use the same supplier's and as for wages I don't know .All I know is that I can have a curry cheaper than fish and chips or pizza and it helps keep a small local business going so can't be that bad or is it ???

For a good eat-in experience I'd say Babour over in Honour Oak. Plenty of unusual dishes to keep your palette amused.

Sadly, the takeaway/delivery service is pretty standard fare so Rajah Rowing Club is a fine and quick alternative, and has a slightly better choice.

Babur offers two take-away services - which are not co-located though both are in Brockley. The oldest one is a 'standard' Indian take-away, and I suspect that is what you are referring to - the other is served from their (excellent) restaurant kitchens and is based on their restaurant menu - including at times their cocktails. They also do special menus on 'event' nights, such as New Year's, Valentine's and Mother's Day. The second (more recent) service is, of course, much more expensive. It was a saviour during lock-down! They do collection and delivery from the restaurant.

If you don’t mind a ride on the 484, Chaska Maska over in Brockley.

Brilliant. Really, really good food. Interesting, original, authentic, tons of flavour, not shy with the chilli.

Set up by former Dishoom staff, it’s just fantastic.

Can’t recommend it enough.

I'd planned to post recommending Babur (you need a heavy wallet) and Sparsh ( noting it is rich so not for every evening).

Babur is more fine dining fusion and has been rated highly for decades (sure it was once in the top 10 Indian restaurants). Sparsh is actually run by people of Indian rather than Bangladeshi heritage and is so so different, and more interesting than the generic Indian which are the same across the country.

I'm a vegetarian and a curry snob and make pretty decent ones myself. Karnataka is the best place to go but Assam is very different. Tamil Nadu just gets hotter, love the dosas and breakfasts. Kerala more coconut and cashew . Pretty decent in Uttar Pradesh. Sri Lanka flavours different, more mustard. Otherwise Tooting or Leicester (Birmingham balti has had its day). Now I am just showing off! Not all Indian states visited nor Pakistan or Bangladesh, noting the Pakistani sweet and savoury shops on Oxford Road, Reading, are brilliant and more authentic than most. Oh and curries on BA have been great, I used to specify Indian vegetarian when I flew more often in the past, I expect Heathrow being near Hounslow helped.

I'd planned to post recommending Babur (you need a heavy wallet) and Sparsh ( noting it is rich so not for every evening).

Babur is more fine dining fusion and has been rated highly for decades (sure it was once in the top 10 Indian restaurants). Sparsh is actually run by people of Indian rather than Bangladeshi heritage and is so so different, and more interesting than the generic Indian which are the same across the country.

I'm a vegetarian and a curry snob and make pretty decent ones myself. Karnataka is the best place to go but Assam is very different. Tamil Nadu just gets hotter, love the dosas and breakfasts. Kerala more coconut and cashew . Pretty decent in Uttar Pradesh. Sri Lanka flavours different, more mustard. Otherwise Tooting or Leicester (Birmingham balti has had its day). Now I am just showing off! Not all Indian states visited nor Pakistan or Bangladesh, noting the Pakistani sweet and savoury shops on Oxford Road, Reading, are brilliant and more authentic than most. Oh and curries on BA have been great, I used to specify Indian vegetarian when I flew more often in the past, I expect Heathrow being near Hounslow helped.

as you know so much and can cook a great curry why not take a few orders from us i would buy from you ,, try it put a few feelers out

Stepping up to a commercial kitchen is another thing. Make enough mess just doing food for the family. There was a nice thread on the Lounge about lockdown cooking where I spoke about my onion barjies. But there again anyone can make them better than the supermarkets

Stepping up to a commercial kitchen is another thing. Make enough mess just doing food for the family. There was a nice thread on the Lounge about lockdown cooking where I spoke about my onion barjies. But there again anyone can make them better than the supermarkets

no all you do is 5/10 currys and first come first served and you make a bit on the side , I am sure you will sell out just one day a week