Foxtons on Lordship Lane soon to become a Poundland Local

teddyboy23

as far as I'm aware a pound land local is not the same as a poundshop. Its more along the lines of a Saintsbury local or tesco express which is mainly food.they will be selling sandwhichs amongst other things it won't affect farmers who have already checked them out .

Welcome to ED Poundland, with arms wide open.

Louisa.

Actually, Louisa, I can't agree. This is likely to severely damage the trade of Farmers - an excellent local shop which has provided good value services to ED over a long period. Poundland is a chain, aggressively priced and whose quality, in my view (others may differ) is not good. It will damage a quality local shop which has gone out of its way to provide a good local service. I know you have always championed chains which purport (not always accurately), to offer good value - and I do agree that losing Iceland was sad, although gaining M&S was a good thing - better would have been to have had both, in my view - but if Poundland comes and squeezes out Farmers then that loss will, again in my view, be worse than losing Iceland.

so as you say Poundland is a chain but so is Iceland who you said you was sad to see them go and M&S i think a bit of double standards, don't you think and Farmers sell the same stuff as the £shop ?? they will have to up their game we will see if loyalty pays or price wins

Welcome to ED Poundland, with arms wide open.

Louisa.

Actually, Louisa, I can't agree. This is likely to severely damage the trade of Farmers - an excellent local shop which has provided good value services to ED over a long period. Poundland is a chain, aggressively priced and whose quality, in my view (others may differ) is not good. It will damage a quality local shop which has gone out of its way to provide a good local service. I know you have always championed chains which purport (not always accurately), to offer good value - and I do agree that losing Iceland was sad, although gaining M&S was a good thing - better would have been to have had both, in my view - but if Poundland comes and squeezes out Farmers then that loss will, again in my view, be worse than losing Iceland.

I love Farmer’s, I’ve been going there since I was a youngster and I know how well loved it is, and more importantly how much effort is put into the business. However, I have to disagree. The whole point of a chain is to create footfall onto a high street. Rather than damage their business model, I would imagine it would do the opposite. Nothing wrong with healthy competition, and tbf, they offer something relatively different anyway.

Louisa.

well said ... some people would have us live in the 50s with 1 shop open

I’m not convinced this is going to happen, would Poundland really want to pay the high rents now being asked in Lordship Lane? Someone’s being mischievous

There's a Poundland in Chiswick and Putney High streets, both of which are upmarket areas with high street rents I'd assume to be higher than LL. So clearly its working for them.

I don't know about Chiswick, but Putney High Street is full of charity shops and seems to be going in the opposite direction to gentrification.

Hallelujah!

At last we have a sensible rebuke to the last 20 odd years of creeping yuppification. Sick to death of all the poncy wannabes showing off with their organic vegan ‘look at me’ shopping bags full of overpriced tat.

Poundland will allow ordinary people to use the lane again for essentials, without having to take out a second bloody mortgage for the privilege.

Louisa.

Well said you

It will be good competition for Farmers, who overcharge their customers anyway and have been getting away with it for years due to lack of competition. They will still survive, but learn a lesson.

Dulwich DIY will soon close down due to Poundland, and that will be no loss as they have been overcharging even more than Farmers.

Right last time .a pound land local is not the same as a typical pound land shop. Apoundland local is a convenience store.which will be selling fresh fruit and veg also chilled and frozen food plus bread milk pies pastries beers wines spirits nappies baby milk biscuits cakes .so unless farmers have been secretly selling selling these they will be fine.also l don't think diy sell any of these items when you buy a hammer or box of screws.if you want to see what a pound land local looks like .there's one in clapham junction .there's a photo you can look at. on their website.

Right last time .a pound land local is not the same as a typical pound land shop. Apoundland local is a convenience store.which will be selling fresh fruit and veg also chilled and frozen food plus bread milk pies pastries beers wines spirits nappies baby milk biscuits cakes .so unless farmers have been secretly selling selling these they will be fine.also l don't think diy sell any of these items when you buy a hammer or box of screws.if you want to see what a pound land local looks like .there's one in clapham junction .there's a photo you can look at. on their website.

Doubt it, mate. It will definitely sell hardware etc. And everything will cost a quid.

Personally, I would rather this than Foxtons - but not sure we need another Poundland, or any other mini supermarkets. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Another poundland am I missing something

There are two more within a mile(ish) of Lordship Lane.

There are also a multitude of estate agents within the same distance. It’s all about demand and supply. If there wasn’t a demand for Poundland, they wouldn’t bother opening here. How many Tesco and Sainsbury stores are within the same distance? I wonder if that argument would be used if another M&S opened, or god forbid a WAITROSE.

Louisa.

I'm all for Poundland. There are many locally, however this will be on my doorstep. I think it healthy competition with other local stores like Farmers or Dulwich DIY. For me it's about choice. How much you pay, quality of the products and convenience. I hope that this move increases footfall for all local businesses but not estate agents (fed up with the saturation on Lordship Lane although I have no idea what could replace them).

New times.

Let's give it a try?

J

Personally, I would rather this than Foxtons - but not sure we need another Poundland, or any other mini supermarkets. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Another poundland am I missing something

There are two more within a mile(ish) of Lordship Lane.

Mile(ish) is not lordship lane come on get with it..

healthy competition with other local stores like Farmers or Dulwich DIY.

lol - healthy competition between a massive transnational corporation and two family-owned, single location shops. You spoon

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09127609/persons-with-significant-control

i don't understand can you not just tell us what you mean