duble yellow lines on melbourne grove

I NOTICED YESTERDAY THAT THE INFINATELY WISE COUNCIL HAVE PUT IN DOUBLE YELLOW LINES AT THE TOP END OF MELBOURNE GROVE...(FUNNILY ENOUGH OUTSIDE COUNCILLOR ROBYN CRUIKSHANKS HOUSE )...THIS WAS DONE WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION,OR SEEMINGLY ANY CONCIDERATION FOR RESIDENTS.THIS IS NOW FORCING RESIDENTS TO PARK IN NEARBY STREETS INSTEAD,ITS NOT REALLY FAIR THAT THIS HAS BEEN DONE TO A RESIDENTIAL STREET,WHICH HAS ISSUES WITH SHOPPERS PARKING,HOSPITAL VISITORS AND COMMUTERS,LET ALONE THE HOUSES OR FLATS THAT HAVE MORE THAN 1 CAR PER ADDRESS,(AND I KNOW THERE ARE PLENTY OF THOSE,THERE IS EVEN 1 GUY THAT HAS A CAR, A PICK UP TRUCK,AND A VERY LONG TRAILER ).I SUPPOSE THAT SOON WE WILL ALL BE HIT WITH PARKING PERMITS.....I PERSONALLY HAVE HAD ISSUES WITH RESIDENTS FROM LOCAL STREETS FOR PARKING OUTSIDE THIER HOUSE (ALTHOUGH LEGALLY DRIVERS CAN PARK VIRTUALLY ANYWHERE THEY CAN FIND A SPACE...I THINK SOUTHWARK COUNCIL NEED A KICK UP THE BACKSIDE AND I WILL BE PERSUING THIS A LOT FURTHER.. I KNOW THE LOCAL COUCIL OWN THE ROAD BUT AS RESIDENTS WE ALL PAY ROAD TAX FOR THE PLEASURE ,BUT SLOWLY OUR ROADS ARE BEINGTAKEN AWAY FROM US........WILL WE GET A REDUCTION IN ROAD TAX...I DOUBT IT...IT WILL PROBABLY GO UP TO PAY FOR THE PAINT.........I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT THE COUCILLOR WHO LIVES IN THEY YELLOW LINE RESTRICTION IS GETTING WHAT SHE WANTS AGAIN,LIKE SNOW CLEARED FROM OUTSIDE THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF HER HOUSE...THE RIDICULOUS ORCHARD..TO NAME A FEW

I personally would prefer to use public transport at all times but

1) It is expensive

2) It is unreliable and/or non-existant at week-ends

3) There are no seats empty and no young people get up for very pregnant women let alone the elderly

4) People with push-chairs take up the priority seats

5) The conversations on mobiles are intrusive as is the ipod tinny sounds

6) It is dangerous at night

7) It is too hot on the tube

8) It stinks

From my point of view, this thread illustrates precisely how misinformation gets disseminated as "fact", leading to misunderstandings, so I'm grateful for this opportunity to publicly correct the above allegations which appear to be aimed at me personally.

1. Firstly, as tiddles points out, the double yellow lines on Melbourne Grove have nothing to do with me, they have been temporarily put down as part of a Thames Water operation on the section of Melbourne Grove from Colwell Road to Blackwater Street, after which they will be removed. You can read the full explanation here:-

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1090750

2. The council does NOT clear the snow from the front of my house - I go out and clear it myself with my shovel everytime it snows, as I have done for years (taught by my Dad when I was a little girl). It's really easy to do this first thing in the morning when the snow is still powdery, it takes about 5 minutes and is no more difficult than sweeping dirt. Other residents are now beginning to join in voluntarily clearing the snow from the front of their own houses and in front of elderly or disabled residents' houses. As council resources are limited, snow removal priority is given to hospitals, schools, shopping parades, etc., so I'm happy to clear the pavement in front of my house myself because I don't like slipping and I don't like using salt, as it kills the trees if it gets into the tree pits.

I also sweep and bag leaves from in front of my house, as well as rubbish, which I usually do on a Sunday when I do housework... sometimes I'll even pick up from across the street and either side of my house if it's particularly bad.

3. The Melbourne Grove Urban Orchard was planted back in 2007 as a result of a community campaign ("community action rocks, yay!") to beautify a local "grot spot" where the pavement was torn up in addition to abundant fly tipping and so much dog poo on the grass verge that the council maintenance teams couldn't cut the grass.

The Orchard consists of edible apples such as Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, and Cox which would be free for all local residents to pick and eat if they weren't vandalised every year long before the apples ripen in October.

All the trees are named after children on the local housing estate and the opening of the Orchard was marked by a community day featuring a poetry contest where the prize for the best poem was awarded with an Apple iPod (geddit?).

This project is thought to be the first community Urban Orchard in London (planted before the more well-known one in the north of the borough), it was written up in various environmental magazines and even in Time Out, but now it tends to keep a low profile due to the ongoing vandalism issues. The space is also the site of a community notice board and a plaque honouring the local victims of the bombing raids in WWII (placed there by the Dulwich Society).

Sadly, there is going to be further protective work on the area at the request of the residents and the police, which I'm sure I'll be blamed for somehow... although I will say that I think it's a shame that something that was meant to be nice for the neighbourhood is so negatively regarded, as per the comments above.

It is a shame that there is no 'like' facility on this forum, such that I have to take up message space to 'like' what Councillor Hilton (for whom I do not, would not and indeed could not, vote) has written here. There is a wide gap between political debate (good) and calumny and invective (bad). The OP seems to have chosen the latter (and not bothered to read previous wholly informative threads about the origin of the yellow lines). And SHOUTED at us.

I was really saddened to see this thread. Such misinformation and wild accusations.

95% of Southwark roads are paid for and maintained through Council Tax. Vehcle Excise Duty goes to the treasury and not directly to pay for our local roads to be maintained. So the half of Southwark residents who dont own cars pay for the roads as much as those that do have cars.

Robin is a great local councillor - if only more were as hard working and diligent. She drives me nuty sometimes but that's reciprocal. We both share a passion to make our area better. She'll be chairing the Dulwich Community Council tonight - she's been a great chair person. Ironic for her to be criticised for clearing a public path outside your own home. If only more people were so publicly spirited. For the record I salt the public path outside my home after clearing it.