The South End of Lordship Lane

I live in that part of LL and it's the forgotten part of ED. There's the Dulwich Beer Dispensary bar on the corner of Melford Road and Dulwich Park is close enough, but what it doesn't have in shops, it makes up for in excellent public transport with buses to the more busier part of LL and Forest Hill has various bars too. It's also very close to Horniman Museum and Forest Hill station.

I'd say the less pretentious part of SE22. You are close to the Plough and the cluster of shops. Interesting walk up Dawson Heights. And the Castle pub, the least pretentious pub in the area.

Nice walks up Sydenham Hill too!

I'm teasing about pretentious. Well maybe.....

Years ago it had a chemist, post office, a decent grocers, newsagents, baker and a butcher on that row of shops opposite The Grove, but I rarely use those shops, the last time I went there was to Toolstation of all places!

I'll walk up to the shops by The Plough instead or go to Forest Hill.

Hi there

My girlfriend and I are moving to the south end of Lordship Lane near the old Grove Tavern in December. We can’t wait.

We’ve read the threads about the tavern itself, but we were wondering if anyone knew of any other development plans or new openings in that part of Lordship Lane?

Thanks,

Seb

Nice part of the world. The connections via bus are good in all directions.............Forest Hill, ED, Sydenham etc.....

Dulwich Beer Dispensary is a nice local pub.

Dulwich Park an easy walk, pizza's and pints in the park...........

Shop wise, you can bus it to LL or FH.....

West Dulwich is okay for a tesco and some boutique shops and pubs.......AH and Rosendale.........walkable / cyclable / busable..........

Welcome to the area! It is a lovely place to live with lovely locals, bar the regular posters on here!! :)

Hi there

My girlfriend and I are moving to the south end of Lordship Lane near the old Grove Tavern in December. We can’t wait.

We’ve read the threads about the tavern itself, but we were wondering if anyone knew of any other development plans or new openings in that part of Lordship Lane?

Thanks,

Seb

Nice part of the world. The connections via bus are good in all directions.............Forest Hill, ED, Sydenham etc.....

Dulwich Beer Dispensary is a nice local pub.

Dulwich Park an easy walk, pizza's and pints in the park...........

Shop wise, you can bus it to LL or FH.....

West Dulwich is okay for a tesco and some boutique shops and pubs.......AH and Rosendale.........walkable / cyclable / busable..........

Welcome to the area! It is a lovely place to live with lovely locals, bar the regular posters on here!! :)

Forget to say, the best pub in ED is The Great Exhibition followed by the EDT, then Palmerston, The Cherry Tree...................The Castle, The Bishop.....

Franklins is a great restaurant, but City prices...........

I live in the area too and I like it except the traffic which is awful.

True about the lack of shops; the few opposite the derelict pub I call the 70ties - nothing there except for a flower shop. Rather dodgy take-aways, always fly tipping at the pavements.

It's always the very last part of LL to have the leaves cleared in autumn.

Tool Station and the tile shop. What not to like. HSS used to be there and of course in the past the motorbike dealer Streamline.

The little shops and takeaway survive, so most be making money. It also reminds me of what SE22 was like when I moved to the area, ie run down.

The girlfriend here. Thanks for all your responses! Good to know that the South End of LL still feels somewhat authentic. The flat we’ve bought is about 10ft from the Toolstation - mixed feelings about being so close to that parade of shops but handy for when we do any DIY! It’s just a shame there aren’t more everyday shops eg chemist, butcher post office etc although as you say, bus connections are good.

Thanks for the pub recommendations too - looking forward to exploring the area!

The girlfriend here. Thanks for all your responses! Good to know that the South End of LL still feels somewhat authentic. The flat we’ve bought is about 10ft from the Toolstation - mixed feelings about being so close to that parade of shops but handy for when we do any DIY! It’s just a shame there aren’t more everyday shops eg chemist, butcher post office etc although as you say, bus connections are good.

Thanks for the pub recommendations too - looking forward to exploring the area!

If you walk down to Forest Hill (10mins walk) you'll pass a fabulous Butcher opposite Sainsbury

Post office in WHsmith next to FH station, Deli in AGA's on Dartmouth rd or the Pantry behind FH station, Theres Superdrug and a 'proper' Chemist Boots is on dartmouth rd.

There's probably more that I've forgotten but they're an easy stroll away from your end of LL