Boundary Commission constituency boundary reform 2023

Bic Basher

As part of the boundary reforms for 2023, the plan is to split ED between two seats, Dulwich and West Norwood which would only serve SE22 areas in the south of the postcode covered by Dulwich Wood Ward and those on LL served by Village Ward as far as Townley Road on the western side of the road and those in Champion Hill ward (Dog Kennel Hill and surrounding roads).

The rest of ED will share a new Lewisham West and East Dulwich seat which also covers Nunhead, Forest Hill, Sydenham and Honor Oak.

These proposals will see the the SE22 roads closer to Forest Hill and Upper Sydenham continue to be served by a Lambeth focused MP who's seat will continue to cover Brixton and Tulse Hill, while the majority of ED is likely to have a Lewisham focused MP.

All this seems to do is ensure Helen Hayes and Ellie Reeves keep their seats while Dulwich constituents depending on where they live will either Helen Hayes in the extreme south and north of ED with everyone else with Ellie Reeves.

https://www.bcereviews.org.uk/

Looking at the comments there was a lot of push back on the original proposal, which would have seen West Norwood hived off into Streatham and Herne Hill split up.

(You can see some of the comments given at the oral hearings here. https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/London_PH_Westminster_Transcription-of-day-2.pdf including the reps from the Dulwich Society. The written submissions are on the website linked above. For the technologically challenged like me - when you go to the website and search on postcode, the map will show the proposed new boundaries, if you click on the “boundaries” button you can turn the existing boundaries / boundaries initially proposed on and off.). It looks as though the main change to the D and WN seat is to add the DHFC stadium and Sainsbury’s?

Given how little we hear from / about our local MP other than immediately before elections (and the odd photoshoot relating to the ED sorting office) and how safe the seat seems to be, I find it hard to get too excited about this, even though it is of course important in principle.

Looking at the comments there was a lot of push back on the original proposal, which would have seen West Norwood hived off into Streatham and Herne Hill split up.

(You can see some of the comments given at the oral hearings here. https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/London_PH_Westminster_Transcription-of-day-2.pdf including the reps from the Dulwich Society. The written submissions are on the website linked above. For the technologically challenged like me - when you go to the website and search on postcode, the map will show the proposed new boundaries, if you click on the “boundaries” button you can turn the existing boundaries / boundaries initially proposed on and off.). It looks as though the main change to the D and WN seat is to add the DHFC stadium and Sainsbury’s?

Given how little we hear from / about our local MP other than immediately before elections (and the odd photoshoot relating to the ED sorting office) and how safe the seat seems to be, I find it hard to get too excited about this, even though it is of course important in principle.

It's much more than gaining Champion Hill, D&WL loses Dulwich Hill and Goose Green to the new Lewisham West and East Dulwich constituency which also gains Peckham Rye ward.

Dulwich Wood is mapped so badly that residents of the Lordship Lane Estate and the bottom half of Underhill Road share councillors with those who live on the Kingswood Estate which have very little affinity between each other being nearer to Gipsy Hill and Crystal Palace.

Ideally the ward boundaries would be revised again so that SE22 residents currently in Dulwich Wood share actual ED councillors than being part of a ward that is bolted onto SE21.

Think that this should go in the main ED section. Considering the outrage expressed by some of you perhaps we could also change the borough boundary so you join us in Lewisham. The only comparison I have is that you have much nicer pavements than ours, which are cracked, patched up and weeds growing in the gaps

What proportion of Lewisham E + ED voters are in Southwark. Let's guess .5 and .75 for D+WN

Looks like Southwark will change from 2.5 MPs to 2+.5+.75 =3.25

I live in GG ward. Feel more affinity to bits of Helen H's constituency in Lambeth than bits of Lewisham. HH has been a good constituency MP on things that are borough related.

There's probably a decent argument for Dulwich Hill and Peckham Rye to join Lewisham West, but not Goose Green.

Another idea could be to extend Dulwich Hill ward to cover the SE22 part of Dulwich Wood Ward along with Wood Vale (Southwark side) alongside the Sydenham Hill Estate (which has a SE23 postcode), while leaving Sydenham Hill proper and Crescent Wood Road in Dulwich Wood.

This would leave DaWN with Champion Hill, Goose Green (to compensate for the partial loss of DW), Dulwich Wood (SE19, SE21 and SE26 postcodes only) and Village.

Lewisham West would be Dulwich Hill including the SE22 area of Dulwich Wood and Peckham Rye.

• 7 months later...

The Boundary Commission have published their final report which will see East Dulwich split between two constituencies. 

Dulwich Wood, Village and Champion Hill wards will be in Dulwich & West Norwood. (Helen Hayes)

Dulwich Hill, Goose Green and Peckham Rye wards will become part of Lewisham West & East Dulwich. (Ellie Reeves).

I'm keeping Helen Hayes just as I'm just inside the Dulwich Wood ward.  On the opposite side of the road which I can see from my window, there will be neighbours who will be represented by Ellie Reeves (or whoever wins at the next election).

However for the first time, both sides of Wood Vale will be represented by one MP for the first time (bar a tiny bit between Melford and LL which stays in Dulwich Wood).

Edited by Bic Basher

• 3 weeks later...