What comes first? Nursery place then sort out going back to work or vice versa? Help!

lulu

I am in the process of working out when do I need to go back to work and putting in a request for part time hours. I just wondered whether you negotiate your return to work based on when you get a nursery place or is it vice versa. I am on waiting lists for several nurseries but haven't confirmed dates as haven't applied for part time yet. It's a bit chicken and egg. Appreciate any help you an offer.

Thanks

I think nurseries probably operate a little differently, but working on the assumption that a nursery is full, they may not offer you a place, if at all, until a child moves out of the Room/Group that your child may be moving into; that could be a month's notice or less. And it might not even coincide with your request, so you might not get offered a place when you need it.

If your employer took the statutory maximum amount of time to go through your flexible work request, that could take 3 months.

would your employer be prepared to agree to reduce the amount of day you work, depending on which days your nursery could offer? That would be ideal!

Are you calling and keeping in touch with the nursery? Do you know how their admissions system works? (If any?) which days are less busy for the Group your child would potentially move into? Which are the busiest days?

Good luck, may of us have been there and know how it very much is a chicken and egg game.

You could sound out your employer by saying childcare is really tough, you are on loads of waiting lists etc but the nurseries are saying you may have to accept whatever part-time places they can offer and ask your work if they are prepared to be flexible.

Not sure if you know but the bulk of nursery places come up in September as the older ones leave to start primary school - this has a knock on effect down the age line freeing up places. Although of course there could be odd places at any time as people move in and out of areas.

You can always go on the waiting list for a full time place at the nursery (telling them you will take a part time place in the mean time if it was to come up) and then when you work out your work hours drop the days at nursery as required when starting there. Those days then free up for the next person on the waiting list.