Sydenham woods

JaneB

Walking my dog yesterday I was surprised to see a number of people collecting holly and other winter foliage. I doubt there are many branches with berries left in the woods. I’m all for foraging in general but it’s a relatively small space that has been transformed by the work of volunteers. Would such actions be allowed in parks? I doubt it.

Yes, foraging in Sydenham Hill Wood can be one of the problems faced in conservation. The holly berries are a valuable food source for birds, especially in cold spells like the one approaching. Taking the branches with berries deprives them of the food when they need it most. Most of what is being taken will end up in the bin and landfill.

Holly is coppiced for use in the Wood but only the male holly which doesn’t produce berries. Buying holly from a sustainable and reputable source would be much better. There is a similar problem in spring when areas of wild garlic are trampled and stripped of much of that plant. It would be nice if people took the time to find out what impact their actions have.

I thought a sign would help children explain to their parents.

We accept street signs. Why not here?

There are numerous signs saying to keep dogs on a least from April-September and not a single dog owner pays the slightest attention to them. I can’t imagine a “Don’t take the holly” sign would be any more observed.

Ivy grows back really quickly, and there is loads of it in the woods.

I've been collecting some at the Solstice for decades, for wreaths and garlands around the house. It's also the day when my Christmas tree is brought into the house from my allotment. The day when the light starts to come back.

Because there is so much ivy in the woods, it never crossed my mind there would be a problem. The woods are not exactly a tiny patch of land.

However if everyone else is now doing the same, perhaps there is.

I can see that holly berries are a different case. I use artificial ones in my ivy wreaths.

If this is a conservation/wildlife issue, I do think notices should be put up, as for the wild garlic. Not everyone will comply, but I would have thought most people would.

Alex_b is right. There are signs in the Wood asking people not to allow their dogs off the lead during nesting season and hardly anyone complies. There are notices drawing attention as to why certain conservation strategies have been carried out but there has to be limit as to how many are desirable. As the Wood is a nature reserve and an important one, it would be undesirable and self defeating to have too many notices scattered around. Ultimately it is down to individual responsibility, however, frequent articles in weekend supplements extolling the virtues of foraging certainly don’t help.