Ex offenders selling on the door steps - SE22

Caesi01

Here is advice our Neighbourhood Watch was given.

Our neighbourhood Police Team gave this advice:

"regarding the area increasingly being targeted by hawkers selling stuff from massive backpacks that they carry and them being threatening and being abusive and aggressive”.

We (SAFER NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICE TEAM) have increased our foot and mobile patrol in the area recently. We are aiming to stop them and deal with any apparent and alleged offences. I would advise you to call 999 if they become threatening and abusive and aggressive toward the residents as it clearly counts as public order offences. This would help us to stop and identify them and collect evidence while they are still in the area.

Kind Regards,

PC ADHIKARI – 2208AS"

We had someone knock at our door this evening too - I’ve discovered afterwards that apparently it is a scam so please take care. I found this article via google which near on describes the activity : https://www.swlondoner.co.uk/news/25022021-knock-knock-criminal-door-callers-scam-at-large-in-south-west-london.

There have been burglaries in our road in recent weeks please take care. The more we can raise awareness the better.

No, black duffel bag.

Appearance wise:

• ca mid 30s

6ft

well built

black baseball cap with flat brim (round sticker on brim

black jacket

beard (trimmed)

Went out for a little wander, did he have white and blue shopping bags?

In any case, I saw a guy outside the Bishop burning off security tags from two bottles of champagne, try to sell them to the guy in Organic Village, then head off to Goose Green bus stop and left.

There are many threads about this, most of which agree it's a scam. It's definitely not an official ex-offenders rehab. scheme: I got this reply from the Home Office:

Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRCs) were established in order to deliver rehabilitation services in England and Wales to low and medium risk offenders.

The CRCs are not involved in such door-to-door selling schemes and we do not condone such activity. We firmly believe that offenders should be integrated back into the community in a more positive manner than this. These schemes are run by private companies, not the CRCs.

This has been going on round here every so often for years. Decades, in fact.

Usually it's stuff like really poor quality tea towels.

Thirty (😮😮😮) years ago there were also people

knocking on doors hawking truly terrible paintings. I don't think they were the same lot as the "ex offenders".

• 10 months later...

Hi all

Just an update to say I had one of these hawkers knock on the door a few minutes ago and I told him quite family I was not interested as I was busy, he replied with come on man give me a chance, and I replied give me a chance to carry on with what I’m doing in my house but thank you. He forced his way into my house backing me up, with his finger in my face and threat of violence, I asked him to leave. As he left my front yard he slammed the gate so hard he smashed the lock off it and when I protested at this he suggested the gate was already like that and then swore abuse at me as he left walking along the street.

Crystal Palace Rd.

White male, 5 foot 10 or 11, slim, dark clothing dark brown hair. Late 20s early 30s.

Late 20s early 30s.

I would suggest anybody not happy with face-to-face intimidation, gets somebody else to answer the door this evening.

Happy times!

Edited by KidKruger

He has been in Ulverscroft Road today.

Apparently very angry and intimidating to several people who had the misfortune to answer the door to him (according to the road What'sApp group. He hasn't called at my house).

Very similar to what KidKruger has posted above.

15 hours ago, Pugwash said:

If you come under Dulwich Hill   ward email   [email protected]    At the last police meeting they talked about various scams and also 'dodgy characters' who were around this time of year.

If you are in Goose Green ward  email [email protected]

Thanks Pugwash, I have emailed the police.

I’m sorry to hear that this person also was intimidating other people in the area.

I feel quite strongly that we should not have to suffer threatening behaviour, just for answering our own front door!

Gosh how freaking scary. This is assault and forced entry. I am glad that you were not subjected to further injury.  Maybe you could report this to the police - I do understand why we don't officially report this type of incident.  Had this been a more vulnerable person.... Who knows what the outcome could have been.  I will be more careful opening the door.  

Take care and thanks for the warning 

We had this about a month ago on Overhill Road, when we said no to buying something they pulled of the electric doorbell after hitting the door (we did not realise until the morning it came off) and it stopped working. We warned our neighbours on the whatsapp group as these is not the first time they have been round the road.