Tuesday Tipplers - we also read books

Hi all, I'm feeling rubbish. I've sent my votes to Cat via PM but I will keep my germy self at home tonight. I'm really sorry to miss the discussion. I've really enjoyed rereading about Narnia - my adult eyes definately see things that weren't apparent from a child's view.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all and apologies for the late post. Thanks again to K for the great list, and for some brilliant further details re the various misdemeanours!

Next month's book is One flew over the cuckoo's nest - Ken Kesey.

Date: Tuesday 23 September 7.45 for 8.00, House of Tippler.

And I think I've been nominated to do the next list, theme as yet unspecified, details to follow ...

E

• 4 weeks later...

Dear all

Just a quick reminder that we are meeting this Tuesday to talk about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. Newcomers always welcome!

Date: Tuesday 23 September 7.45 for 8.00 at The House of Tippler.

See below for the shortlist for next month, for which I have gone a bit Latin American.

Look forward to seeing you Tuesday.

E

House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende (1986, 496 pages)

Spanning four generations, Isabel Allende's magnificent family saga is populated by a memorable, often eccentric cast of characters. Together, men and women, spirits, the forces of nature, and of history, converge in an unforgettable, wholly absorbing and brilliantly realised novel that is as richly entertaining as it is a masterpiece of modern literature.

Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord - Louis de Bernieres (1991, 280 pages)

Dionisio Vivo, a South American lecturer in philosophy, is puzzled by the hideously mutilated corpses that keep turning up outside his front door. To his friend, Ramon, one of the few honest policemen in town, the message is all too clear: Dionisio's letters to the press, exposing the drug barons, must stop; and although Dionisio manages to escape the hit-men sent to get him, he soon realises that others are more vulnerable, and his love for them leads him to take a colossal revenge.

Events take their course in the way of a grand tragicomedy, with the devastation that's expected followed by the irrepressible joy of life that's never expected and Berniere?s tongue-in-cheeck touch throughout.

Like Water for Chocolate - Laura Esquivel (1993, 224 pages)

The number one bestseller in Mexico and America for almost two years, and subsequently a bestseller around the world, Like Water For Chocolate is a romantic, poignant tale, touched with moments of magic, graphic earthiness, bittersweet wit - and recipes. A sumptuous feast of a novel, it relates the bizarre history of the all-female De La Garza family. Tita, the youngest daughter of the house, has been forbidden to marry, condemned by Mexican tradition to look after her mother until she dies. But Tita falls in love with Pedro, and he is seduced by the magical food she cooks. In desperation Pedro marries her sister Rosaura so that he can stay close to her. For the next twenty-two years Tita and Pedro are forced to circle each other in unconsummated passion. Only a freakish chain of tragedies, bad luck and fate finally reunite them against all the odds.

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (1970, 422 pages)

Equally tragic, joyful and comical, One Hundred Years of Solitude inhabits a strange dream-like space where very little makes real sense, but everything is mysteriously and vividly alive nonetheless. An acknowledged masterpiece, this is the story of seven generations of the Buendia family and of Macondo, the town they have built. Though little more than a settlement surrounded by mountains, Macondo has its wars and disasters, even its wonders and miracles. A microcosm of Columbian life, its secrets lie hidden, encoded in a book and only Aureliano Buendia can fathom its mysteries and reveal its shrouded destiny. Blending political reality with magic realism, fantasy with comic invention, One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of the most daringly original works of the twentieth century.

Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter- Mario Vargas Llosa (1977, 416 pages)

Set in Peru during the 1950s, Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter is the story of an 18 year old student who falls for a 32 year old divorcee. Mario, an aspiring writer, works at a radio station that broadcasts, live each day, up to a half-dozen short-run soap operas. At the same time that the author meets his "Aunt Julia", the radio station, which had been buying scripts by weight from Cuba, hires a Bolivian scriptwriter named Pedro Camacho to write the serials. The novel chronicles the scriptwriter's rise and fall in tandem with the protagonist's affair.

Our next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday 21 October at 7:45ish at the Tippler and we'll be discussing Senor Vivo and the Coco Lord by Louis de Bernieres. Newbies are always welcome - just read the book and turn up on the night.

NB - new thread started here Please resubscribe to the new thread (: