civillity on buses (Lounged)

LuvPeckham

Tonight, I travelled home (5 beers down) standing up on a Number 12 bus from Parliment Square to ED

About 10 minutes into the journey some bloke (sitting down) asked me to stop 'swinging around as the bus moved' (sadly inertial dampers are only something that the Enterprise has and they haven;t been installed on bendy buses yet)

Got to admit I really felt like tearing a strip off him for being so rude, and whilst I know how annoying it is to be seated on a bus full of people who can't get a seat, I did find his behaviour rather rude and arrogent ... fortunatly he got off at the new Coop at Peckham (so he isn't one if us lovely ED people)

All I can say is some people, and rather wished I was an aggressive sort who would have shown him how awkward it is to stand after a few beers on a bus that just won't stay still ::o

A very high proportion of the people in this world are unfortunately complete bastards. It is best to just accept this fact and ignore them, especially when you are a few beers down and on the bus. That No12 route is a bugger for annoying wankers though. I have been in a few altercations on it myself. I would recommend a spot of meditation while waiting at the bus stop. Zen and the art of taking the night bus kinda thing.

You have also brought up the point that bendy busses throw you around more when you are standing up than double deckers do.

A girl was reduced to tears on the 12 recently - she and her friend got off before their stop after being accused of being posh and asked why they were in South London. Guy that did it got off at the Kentish Drovers pub.

Was not impressed at all.

Speaking of which, did anybody see the piece in last week's Time Out about how the 176 is a great bus until it gets to ED, where horrible iPod-wearing ponces get on? Tad harsh, I thought..

Inverse bus snobbery... where on earth will it end??

jimbo1964 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it still the case that any grudgingly praise

> worthy South London restaurant review in Time Out

> is prefixed with "In an otherwise barren area of

> London....." ?

yes

this is exactly the sort of post that i don't get

from where i'm sat it seems that someone was p****d on the bus and (maybe?) bumped into someone sat close by (as maybe their balance was affected by beer?) and when the person asked not particularly rudely that the other stopped bumping into them the pissed person takes offence (and the high ground) but doesn't dare to say anything (other than on a friendly board)

it's not actually hard to stand still on a bendy bus (certainly when sober) now is it?

you know what pk, I'm with you

It was my initial thought as well but it was just one of those times when I didn't have time to respond and then the conversation moved on. I don't know LuvPeckham from Adam (or Eve) but quite like their posts and because it was written at 12:30am I imagine the aforementioned pints had something to do with it. Wat say you LP?

PK go back to the orignal post, LP states clearly that he/she had five beers. It beggars belief that an EDFer would have been in any wise 'pissed' after such a paltry amount of wallop, this would have been a pre journey livener before getting off in ED and having a serious session.

And frankly better this than boring the arses off people with a thread about bastard house prices.

I've just realised you start your second sentence with 'from where I'm sat', PK J'ACCUSE!

LP demand a line-up.

Quite right too! And once again I concur with HonaloochieB (this is getting to be a habit). Only five beers in is for the likes of the pathetic Clapamites who visit our lovely Hamlet on Fridays and Saturdays and leave a nasty smell about the place. I'm sure LuvPeckham couldn't wait to get home and finish off a bottle of Woodford's Reserve before bedtime after a late one in The Drum.

JL you and I are shining examples of the kind of civility that appears to be missing from our public transport system.

What with all the concurring, 'no no after youing' and absolutely not my dear fellow I insisting' I reckon we could get some sort of grant from the new mayor to give lessons in deportment to disaffected youths.

Let's strike while the iron's hot. BoJo's still on a charm offensive and despite what some people say I reckon he's a bit gormless.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> e just realised you start your second sentence

> with 'from where I'm sat', PK J'ACCUSE!

>

> LP demand a line-up.

i deny everything, it wasn't me

the 'from where i'm sat' was just to say how it read to a sober person sat at a PC

obviously the selfish, rude Peckham seat-hogger should have apologised for getting in the way and given up the seat to someone struggling with the complicated movements of a bus, if he happens to see this thread i hope that he sees the error of his ways and tears a strip off himself

looking at the first post again, i'm thinking that perhaps it's not intended to be serious (but it's so hard to tell online)?

Sadly, 5 beers doesn't even touch the sides theses days... so can not even use the excuse that I was drunk at the time ...

as for my balance being effected by beer as has been suggested, sadly not... it improves slightly and the real problem is my false leg that makes me unsteady at any time on a bendy bus... ::o

I've never really objected to well-soused souls on busses; maybe because it's something I remember of my youth, regretting its passing. but I do get a bit itchy about people drinking on the same busses; and when people do behave badly I have to remind myself it's the behaviour that rankles, not the drink. the law reflects this; being drunk isn't an offence, drunk and disorderly is.