Camping with young children - ideas

Dear parents, carers and 'campers',

I would love to start going camping with our two little boys aged 5 and 2, and I am looking for some advise from you experienced 'campers'.

1. Apart from the obvious things like a tent, mats, sleeping bags etc., what do you thing is a must/what items will make your life easier when you go camping with young kids?

2. Can you recommend an interesting place to go to, to start with, not too far from London in case it goes terribly wrong or the weather is too bad and we have to pack it up early? I suppose there are plenty of great places in Kent, I did look some up on the internet, but I would rather get a recommendation from someone 'who has done it'! :o)

I am grateful for any ideas :o)

Thanks

Hi Lenka, depends on whether you're using public transport or car, how much you can take.I've always used public

transport which limits what you can take. tarp and rope to make a shelter incase of rain is very handy. old newspapers in a carrier bag to start fire, if you intend to cook on fire. medicines you'd use for first aid,

The only place i've camped close to london was epping forest many years ago. It often takes us all

day travelling to get to site, but a great feeling when the tents are up. great adventure for children

and adults. Hope you find somewhere nice and its the beginning of many great times in the great outdoors.

We're going here in August - my sister has been before with her kids and said it was brilliant. They organise loads of activities you can book if you want and it's walking distance to the bluebell railway. Quite expensive for camping though. There are lots of nice campsites in the new forest too.

http://wowo.co.uk/

Thank you all for your advice and positive comments!!! :o)

Sometimes we will have a car, and sometimes not. I believe that without it is harder, but much more adventurous:o)

Will defo check out both web sites. The boys love trains and Bluebell Railway is gorgeous!

xxx

My suggestion (I don't have kids or camp so you may want to ignore) is borrow all the basics from a friend if you can, and try the camp site up by dulwich wood (sorry can't be more specific than that).

Would give you a bit of adventure without the hassle of travel and coming home too far off someone hates it!

I've been several times with NCT friends since our kids were around 18 months and it's been really easy each time. The kids seem to sleep better outdoors and you can hang out, drink and chat round the campfire whilst the kids run around or sleep. You don't really need anything special for the children in my experience, but my must haves are a comfy pillow and ear plugs (I don't sleep as well as little B!). Beware that even if the day time is really hot, it can still get v cold at night so don't let your other half buy a ?10 double sleeping bag from Sainsburys and think it will be warm enough for you at May Bank holiday unless you're really warm blooded! We've been mostly around Sussex as it's close but also had a lovely time in Norfolk and the Cotswolds - loads of books advising sites e.g. Cool Camping / Cool Camping for kids. We always look for a site that allows campfires and so far have managed not to burn a toddler. Have fun!

We went to Forgewood with a bunch of other two year olds and it was great fun. Camping in the woods with campfires and lots of space between pitches. http://www.forgewoodcamping.co.uk

Kids had such fun just pottering and exploring around the tents in the woods - banks to climb, little dens and rope swings around that people have made. Freedom!!

The shop/cafe does food if you need some in an emergency but cooking on the campfire is great fun. I would say hotdogs (as they can just warm them on sticks on the fire) and buns, camp chairs for around the fire, although logs are good for the kids to sit on too. Good stove for cuppas and egg butties in the morning. Marshmallows are utterly essential. Lanterns (battery powered) are a good idea, especially if you want to have a little comforting glow in the tent for them while you sit outside around the campfire. Or headtorches or torches.

We had blow up (toddler and adult) beds and blankets (and we always take our duvet camping for us, although I think kids prefer sleeping bags). I think ours had a toddler ready bed with an extra blanket.

if you don't already have a tent, then buy one that you can stand up in and that is fairly roomy. This means that if you have one of those sometimes rainy/sometimes fine days you can hang out for short periods in the tent quite comfortably. Means you shouldn't have to pack up and head home unless it is really bad!

don't plan loads of things to do. the kids are happy enough with just hanging out round the tent. take some balls and a couple of outdoor toys. the best thing to take really is another family, so the kids can run around and play together and the grown ups get to sit around and drink tea.