Trees on the pavement

Hello

All down my road are some huge trees, a number now have branches which reach across and cover the houses and also have roots which have broken through the pavement. Does anyone know whether this is a council issue, and if so, whom I could contact to see if our street is on a list for the trees to be trimmed back - or get us on the list if possible!

Many thanks

I know what you mean. All down my street there are all these filthy, noisy, killer cars expelling lethal toxins, disturbing people's sleep and sometimes crippling, maiming and killing young and old alike. Can the council trim these here cars back?

Trees on public land are generally the responsibility of the local council. They will be pruned if there are dead branches, or if the council believes the roots are liable to cause problems for the foundations of local buildings, dependent on soild type, building condition, tree variety, age and size. Although sadly, these considerations are not always as balanced as one might suppose.

Disruption of the pavement is not cause for pruning. You might be able to get the offending area repaved if it prevents a hazard. Contact your local ward councilor or the planning office. Their contact details are on the council webpage. Or, you could buy a house on a barren street entirely devoid of trees? Just a thought. ;-)

If the trees are not blocking busses or overhead cables, or causing foundational damage, then then council won't alter their growth. It would be a waste of public money to prune where unnecessary. Also, considering that pruning and pollarding is best done in late winter / early spring, you've missed the boat timewise. You'd be better off bring up the issue next winter before the spring leaf outgrowth. Otherwise, pruning diminishes habitat for birds and insects.

The trees don't bother me so much. It's more the size and volume of weeds currently growing out of all the pavements near where I live. It's as if you are walking through the amazon on the way to the bus stop.

I regularly pull the weeds out from the pavement infront of my house, others don't and I think the council probably has bigger issues on its mind!

grancabrona Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know what you mean. All down my street there are

> all these filthy, noisy, killer cars expelling

> lethal toxins, disturbing people's sleep and

> sometimes crippling, maiming and killing young and

> old alike. Can the council trim these here cars

> back?

Lol

t-e-d

"Thats good nice to have some information based on knowledge unlike KK's somment based on total ignorance."

Thanks for your kind words.

I'm talking from direct experience dealing with Southwark over the last few years. When I told them that a tree planted by them a few years ago on the pavement had grown immensely and was damaging (causing leaning) a garden wall, they said we had to:

* Demolish the wall

* Then dig 4ft exploratory holes

* Then if we could see tree roots in the hole, they MAY look at the situation but even tree roots would not be proof.

This is despite them having to re-pave the pavement around the tree 3 times over the last few years, that is, between the tree and the wall we allege is damaged by the tree. There's a whole block where the pavement runs, past many many houses, but only that bit they re-paved, right around the tree. The tree is 3ft from the wall.

Ignorance ?