St John's and St Clement's Primary School Street

The new pedestrian zone affecting Adys Road, Ondine Road and Amott Road is probably about to launch as signage is being installed today.

I see these are going to use "APNR" cameras, so everyone's number plate can be tracked going into the zone, and presumably fines will be issued automatically.

Anyone have experience about how good this enforcement is and what a difference it makes?

Consultation with map: https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/environment-leisure/st-johns-and-st-clements-primary-school-street/

Fs3VnO9WYAMVxa6.jpeg.60f5dd880418409333c350c5364f701b.jpeg

I think the positioning of the closure on Adys Rd is going to cause chaos, with traffic in both directions having no avenue for escape by the time the signs are visible. People turning left out of Nutbrook onto Adys will be particularly stuck.

I’m supportive of the scheme, as Adys is used as a rat run for commercial vehicles and there are often angry confrontations between motorists and pedestrians around the school, but I think the positioning of the signage could be improved.

One of the problems with this is that Ady's road is the main access out of the area as you cannot exit through Ondine, Copleston or Oglander. Imagine the cars trying to turn right at the bottom of the park by the church - in both directions - as well as problems at the Amott road end. Fiasco!

Froglamder, from what I can glean from the Southwark website it tends to be an hour-ish each morning and afternoon anytime between 8-9.30 and 2.30-4.30.

It also says that it's expected to be implemented in autumn 2023, but that doesn't seem to chime with the signs being in place already.

I'd agree with Soylent & Alec. You can't argue with the safety aspect of it, but it's going to make getting from East Dulwich Road to Bellenden Road pretty convoluted and chaotic.

What time(s) is this in effect from and what roads get an exemption if you live in them? I didn’t know anything about this!

You have to live within the restriction (ie on Adys roughly between Ondine and Amott or a short distance down either of those roads). There are also exemptions for registered carers of people living in those houses and for parents on children with mobility needs who go to SJSC. We’re further up Adys and so now cannot drive south during the period of operation.

On 12/04/2023 at 07:34, alex_b said:

We received a letter about the Adys Rd closure yesterday. Hours of operation will be 8:30-9:15 and 3-3:45 during term time. Warning notices will be issued to motorists for the 17th April and Penalty Charge Notices will be issued from the 9th May. 

However the signs don'make no mention of 'operating during term time' and I suspect this will be implemented throughout the summer and other holidays as well.

Cars turning left into Adys from Nutbrook- including huge lorries that use the route- once they see the sign, won't be able to escape via Gowlett Road as that section is also in the zone. Cars coming into Adys from the South and then seeing the sign will have to divert down the  very narrow  section of East Dulwich Road that runs by the church

It's going to be absolute carnage. All the traffic that comes down Crystal Palace Road to avoid the logjam on Lordship Lane is going to find itself completely screwed. No right turn on East Dulwich Road, no option to go straight jn and the section down to the roundabout is going to be even more grid locked than usual. 

Once people are inside the West Peckham CPZ area they will be trapped having to head back to Nigel Road to get out if they don't want a fine. 

They needed to change some of them there restrictions to eas pressure. 

This scheme is as gormless as all the others the council have come up with recently.

4 hours ago, Huggers said:

However the signs don'make no mention of 'operating during term time' and I suspect this will be implemented throughout the summer and other holidays as well.

Cars turning left into Adys from Nutbrook- including huge lorries that use the route- once they see the sign, won't be able to escape via Gowlett Road as that section is also in the zone. Cars coming into Adys from the South and then seeing the sign will have to divert down the  very narrow  section of East Dulwich Road that runs by the church

Well the TMO states term time only as does the Southwark schools streets page. I’m generally fairly down on Southwark but I doubt they’d do something so cynically unlawful. 

I agree the closures are badly placed and will trap traffic. In the consultation and directly to the highways team (copying my local councillors) I suggested bringing the closure back to the corner of Nutbrook or at least advanced warning signs further up Adys and Nutbrook. Unfortunately I was ignored. 

I don’t think Amott/Gowlett will be that affected as alternate routes (the western end of Amott is closed by this). I think Fenwick is likely to bear the brunt of traffic. Southwark really should close the Bellenden rat-run to through traffic and keep commercial and HGVs on the A roads. 

Why should Southwark bother to close Bellenden Road. They seem to dig it up every other week which does the job.

but if  you are silly enough to pay around 1 milllion for a 2 up 2 down you need some consideration 

Edited by richard tudor
To Broad a comment

1 hour ago, alex_b said:

I don’t think Amott/Gowlett will be that affected as alternate routes (the western end of Amott is closed by this). I think Fenwick is likely to bear the brunt of traffic. Southwark really should close the Bellenden rat-run to through traffic and keep commercial and HGVs on the A roads. 

yes lets really finish off the shops and businesses

12 minutes ago, Huggers said:

yes lets really finish off the shops and businesses

That wasn’t what I said. I said close the rat run especially for commercial traffic, HGVs and coaches. You could still retain access without having residential roads with three schools on them being subject to dangerous traffic. The fact the bollard at the corner of Nutbrook and Adys gets knocked over on a weekly basis shows that vehicles are using these streets that cannot safely navigate them without driving across pavements. 

but how would they differentiate between users? We have always thought there should be a sign at top of Lyndurst Way discouraging HGV's and coaches with a weight limit. We regularly have articulated lorries trying to negotiate the Maxted Road/Nutbrook Street corner. 

As for the bollard on our corner- it is too low for a lot of vehicles to see until it is too late. 

• 1 month later...
On 17/04/2023 at 13:29, Huggers said:

but how would they differentiate between users? We have always thought there should be a sign at top of Lyndurst Way discouraging HGV's and coaches with a weight limit. We regularly have articulated lorries trying to negotiate the Maxted Road/Nutbrook Street corner. 

As for the bollard on our corner- it is too low for a lot of vehicles to see until it is too late. 

Too late for what? To late to avoid driving on the pavement?

• 1 month later...

Road seems a bit quieter, not too much craziness in the morning that I’ve noticed. Some people doing awkward turns or long reverses at the signs. A fair number of people driving straight through.

Unfortunately the Adys/Nutbrook bollard still gets taken out within days of being repaired.