Dulwich and Peckham Pool - Southwark shambles

Anyone experiencing problems since Southwark took over? My membership either disappears or trys to charge me when I book. Have visited and used online inquiry form several times to no avail. Staff left in the firing line. No Southwark officials in sight and no named individuals.

And they’ll STILL want you to book and never fine the people who actually manage to reserve a place and then don’t turn up. It’s completely irrational to ask people to book to swim outside of special pandemic measures. I wrote to my councillor and leisure head but got no reply. 

8 hours ago, CPR Dave said:

The pool has been closed for about 3 weeks. Ever since Southwark took over.

Yes I used it the day they took over and the water was like ice..I kid you not!

The English Channel is actually warmer

There was no warning about the boiler being out of order when I turned up for my pre-booked session.

In fact I became ill a few days later with a really bad chest infection that I put down to the icy water.

I've been on an inhaler and antibiotics since (I am slightly asthmatic and I think the cold triggered an infection)

The next day they closed the pool.

Booking is a mess.

I have been a member of the gym for 5 years and loved it.

Now I feel really sad as there are no other decent affordable gyms with pools and classes in the area.

FHP is a mess with a tiny gym and filthy pool The Spa in Beckenham is pretty good but too far to get to.

My Everyone active membership allowed me to use all their gyms including the ones in central London

I'm paying the same and getting worse facilities in limited centres now Southwark have taken over.

And in addition machines are not being fixed in the gym

The Dulwich pool is back in working order now.  I went yesterday evening.  The booking app has been difficult, and I did have issues, but the manager sorted it out fairly quick for me.  You will need another card, (new Southwark one) which might be the issue.  Go in and speak to them if you can, sort it on site.   From my assumptions, Everyone Active left the pools in a mess, disrepair.  Southwark are picking up the pieces. 

Whilst I personally don't like booking either, there realistically isn't room in the pool, say during lane swims, if more than 10 people turn up per lane.  It's just not big enough, and a turn up and swim would likely end in chaos and not a great experience. 

Edited by Alec1

I think the booking system should be withdrawn for at least two months so that comparisons can be drawn. That’s a fair way of doing it and it won’t cost a thing. It’s paternalistic and sits uneasily with me; as if there are not enough regulation and restrictions in life already! 

52 minutes ago, Nigello said:

I think the booking system should be withdrawn for at least two months so that comparisons can be drawn. That’s a fair way of doing it and it won’t cost a thing. It’s paternalistic and sits uneasily with me; as if there are not enough regulation and restrictions in life already! 

Removing it would then mean, some people who turn up to swim may have to go home as there is no room in the pool.  The sessions aren't really long enough for people to wait until one person comes out. 

People abuse the system as it is. They book as soon as the slots open and sometimes don’t attend. It’s unfair - the diehards take a lot of the slots leaving fewer open for less dedicated swimmers, whose lack of zeal and military-style forward planning skills are punished, in effect. A review is needed to be able to compare the two systems fairly. There was no clamour for the booking system before the pandemic. It’s laziness on the part of the authorities that’s keeping it there.  

Edited by Nigello

I'm not disagreeing with your feelings as until I got to grips with the system, I was struggling to get a space, but surely those who aren't 'diehards' will lose out as well?  It would be so frustrating/disappointing to schedule a time in the day for a swim, walk to the pool, only to find the pool was oversubscribed, so no swim.  From what I gather, the lane swims are for 'diehards' who want to swim constantly in a lane, be it fast, med, slow.  Where the other sessions, public swim, family swim, senior swim etc are for those who just want to swim generally.  There is something for everyone. 

So, do you stay up till 10pm then book your slot for more than one (maybe three or more) sessions and always turn up? This system is no way for a publicly-funded pool whose bosses (Southwark) pledge to make “sport for all”, etc. I just don’t accept that everyone who wants to swim should need to book at least a year since the Covid threat was deemed weak enough to lift restrictions in all other areas of life. People’s plans change, the weather puts them off (or propels them to swim). I just can’t accept that this system is the right one. It’s condescending and exclusionary and that’s the very opposite of what a council (of any colour) should be aiming for. I’m still waiting for my reply from the head of leisure so I’ll try and try again. 

I agree with you Nigello, it should be a case of turn up and swim if there's space in the pool.  People can work out themselves which times are busy and suit them best. 

That always worked in the past, apart from for the family swim where there would massive queues 45 minutes before it started and loads of disappointed kids at the end of the line.

I don't disagree with Nigello, but the same problem will continue.  Too many people will turn up, and those who get their first, will get in, others will be turned away.  So you could go there every day you want to swim and unless you get there earlier than everyone else, you may not get to swim at all on all those days.