ED Nature Watch

Steve T,

With regard to your earlier post, are there pike in the big lake on PR?

I'm genuinely interested.

I've seen a fair few rats, both water rats and the normal kind, but was not aware of pike. How thrilling if there was a huge, ancient pike (not to mention wild cats) that lived on the Rye.

Last year my friend's cat brought home several ducklings over the period of a week. Not from this area, but it shows that A) cats go a long way to hunt B)there are many predators and could be a combination of rats, herons and cats...

Herons do eat chicks witnessed one last year eating baby moorhens , the mum was going mad , not nice .My friend and me saw the disappearance of chicks on a daily basis from the lake in Peckham Rye park.

I seem to have two teeny tiny birds living in a teeny tiny hole in the brickwork next to a large window sill.

They flew so fast in and out that I could see nothing except that they were tiny and perhaps brown with a white flash on the front. Will have to investigate.

Yes, I thought wrens too. Right size, but flew past so quickly that not easy to say for certain. Will need to actually try to spot them as they whiz in and out.

Very excisted by having birds nesting in the brickwork of the house. The hole is really miniscule.

One of the things about wrens is that they have very thin beaks, which are quite long in relation to their tiny bodies, or always look that way to me.

Also "rounder" bodies than pied wagtails I think.

And I think they are completely brown, not with a white flash anywhere.

But I don't have the energy to look up my bird book :)

I love wrens, had one who used to be about my (very small) garden a lot a few years back.

Pied wagtails are very distinctive. I know that wrens will nest & roost very close to people. But, anyway, lovely to have them so close louisiana. Must confess have become a bit nerdy about bird spotting in the garden of late - old age?

To me the distinctive things about wrens is that they are remarkably tiny in comparison with other small birds, and their bodies are very deep, if that's the right way of putting it - very round bodies, as Sue said.

Pied wagtails are black and white and not so small, so perhaps not?

Anyway, here are some pics

file.php?5,file=3997

file.php?5,file=3998