ED Nature Watch

The garden is like a battleground with three blackbirds hopping after each other trying to claim the best part. The robins are chasing the sparrows away from their food, and the great tits are defending the nut feeder from the sparrows.

12 inches of snow predicted or 30cm that should change the landscape, and it will be sooooooo quiet.

Received a Christmas cake with nuts and apricots on the top a Sainsbugs production and it was foul, so I broke it up and threw it out for the birds, and amongst all the snow covering one would think they would be hungry enough to eat the festive food.

Not a chance, they left it alone until our local reynard scoffed some and took the remainder to cache it near by.

I guess Sainsbugs should improve their seasonal fayre if it's unable to tempt the starving bird population................

Haven't seen a single bird in my garden today, maybe they're just all sheltering somewhere till the snow goes, so maybe it wasn't your cake! There's normally loads of them on the peanuts and fat balls, and eating stuff off the ground if they can't get at those.

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a dozen or so redwings pecking at

> everything that looks like food in the garden,

> they are similar to a thrush but with an orangey

> red flash along the side.

Thanks for the ID - they just passed through at the back of our house.

My mother (who lives in Winchester) always feeds the birds, and it seems blackbirds are big fans of sultanas. My flat has a roomy balcony (I'm on the 4th floor) and so I put sultanas, but only a little robin is brave enough to come and get them.

I've put out a peanut feeder as well but there's no interest at all. Does anyone know if birds will eat from feeders on balconies (as opposed to gardens)?

Lovely to read that so many people have seen redwings and fieldfares. Last Saturday a flock of redwings with a few fieldfares with them, arrived in Peckham and stripped the pyracanthus and cotoneaster bushes. They were a fantastic sight. Never seen them in London before. They stayed all week, stripping the berries from the bushes and then flying into the high trees with the berry tresses still in their beaks. They seem to have gone today though. I read in my book that they leave in February and March for their migration back to Scandinavia. And it is very unusual to get them in the middle of cities. They only make the journey from the countryside when they need more food. And the snow certainly drove them here.

But today my first sight for 2010 of the greater spotted woodpecker, tapping away at a eucalyptus tree. That and six goldfinches feeding on the nylar feeder. A gorgeous sight.

• 2 weeks later...