Mugging last night on the path to Sainsburys between the playing fields

Just a word of warning to be careful walking on the path between Greendale Playing Field and St Olave's Rec Ground at night. My friend was walking to Sainsbury's at about 10.30pm when she was approached from behind by a man with a knife. She made a lot of noise and managed to get away with only handing over a bit of cash. She is fine and has let the police know, but if you heard or saw anything, do get in touch with the police. And stay safe!

greendale and that alley/path to sainsbos are the only places in the whole area I feel I am inviting a mugging

Everywhere else it still might happen (random being random) but that whole place feels like "lowlands". Similar places exists in most towns and I always avoid them. Even in afternoon sunlight, with a buggie and baby, I feel exposed there

Hope your friend recovers ok horseplay

Hi horseplay,

Terribly sorry to hear about your friends experience :<

Isn't it about time some cameras & better lighting was put in place in this particular area? It is well known for muggings which is why I try to avoid walking through this park late at night or whenever it gets dark... even in broad daylight. I tend to walk through when other shoppers are passing. I just feel a little safer.

I was mugged in st Francis park in the middle of the day last year. No CCTV, the CCTV that would have picked him up by Dulwich station was apparently 'facing the wrong way' which is odd as he walked up and down the road apparently. I'm sorry for your friend and appreciate the heads up, I wouldn't walk many places comfortably in the dark, CCTV should def be employed in that spot.

I was mugged on Elsie road just short of a month ago in the middle of the day. I also had the same trouble of no security camera's. Is there something we can do to get more as clearly there is a need !

I hope your friend is okay , it really is a horrible experience.

Thanks for your kind words everyone, I will pass them on. She is absolutely fine, but it was a frightening experience. Just reading about someone's handbag being stolen at The Bishop on Saturday - it's a good reminder that we should always try to keep our wits about us!

All the best.