polite request re: garden bonfires

Can folk use the wheelie bins and compost makers and dry hedge techniques to get their gardens shipshape, this year, pretty please?

Having checked the 'rules', I see that we CAN have a one-hour bonfire, and it MUST be around dusk,

however,

with the warm weather at last, so many of us would like evening time outdoors, and keeping the windows open too.

No bonfire = civilised clean-air gesture for the whole neighbourhood.

My research went as far as this forum in 2012, so if you were in touch with the council more recently, ladyinred, then it's either a newer development or I was misinformed in the 1st place.

wee queenie, making dry hedges

is only going to suit gardeners who have the space. You make an undisturbed "hedge" of dry brushwood and prunings, it will soon be a nest site for garden birds, safe from predators for a few years.

Gradually the hedge breaks up & is absorbed into topsoil. This is much less harmful than fires.

I do find it annoying that people think that the middle of a blazing hot day, when others have their windows open, washing out, are generally in their gardens - is the ideal time for a bonfire. My dad wouldn't have a bonfire except in the autumn on a fairly manky but-not-actually-raining evening. He would not budge on this, and damn right too. Bonfire smoke is really pervasive, too - BBQs are pongier but bonfire smoke seems to travel further.

I don't object to BBQs so much as obviously they are a fair weather activity, but I do mind when they are very close to the house - have them at the end of the garden! And tell your neighbours so they can close their windows and bring in the washing!!

I think you're allowed to have a fire in an incinerator. Don't know if there are time constraints on that. Also, if you're near allotments, they are allowed to have small bonfires. Don't know how you're meant to define "small" though.

uhhhhh can we just stop banning things?!!! heavens above - rules rules rules..... I swear this town is turning into an episode of grumpy old men. Live a little, play some music after dark, sunbathe naked in your back garden, sit around a bonfire telling war stories. Whatever you do, smoke out these constant tiresome sour people, starting with that hideously surly woman in xxx and ending with pretty much all the staff in the xxx. #middleclassdramarama

Oh dear. We do like our burgers (and shortly after payday our butterflied leg of lamb, although we take the bone out ourselves and buy the original leg at the Co-Op, not at William Rose) slightly carbonised.

We worry about kippering the neighbours. And we do take a look two houses down, two houses up in the terrace, from the rear window in the back, to see that no one has laundry on the line before we light the pyre.

Now and again we ourselves are lightly kippered (when neighbours upwind offer sacrifice). We cough, just a bit, and close the windows.

All part of getting along, eh?