Local amateur restaurant critics

Brilliant. In case you havent noticed Al, - almost everyone on a public internet forum is an "amateur" critic. And one could argue that an amateur criticism of amateur critics is even worse! So you find a professional critic anywhere here please let me know.

All I said (as just one of many both good and bad) was that I found Locale bad value and the food mediocre compared to Si Mangia which offers a similar product up the road. And your only comments seem to imply "I can accept mediocrity and bad value if I have somewhere easy that I can go with the buggie when I can't be bothered to cook lunch that is good with kids". Well if thats your bag - enjoy! There's nothing wrong with liking what you like.

I do agree that it is better to take a positive approach to anything in life rather than a negative one. I think I even started a simple thread once called "Great Food at the EDT" based on a positive experience I had. There is loads of praise to be found here if you look through the posts.

As for "livlihoods being at stake" I know a little about this having given up my life as a wage slave to invest all of my savings, time and energy into starting my own business. We are not retail/service based but the same rules apply. If our product sucks then I want to know about it. When we have the odd problem we respectfully acknowledge the feedback and think carefully about how to address things and improve. That in itself is a positive dynamic.

So I wont apologise for my amateurish comments on my mediocre experience at Locale. But I do tip my hat to Marco and wish him success in business. Why wouldn't I?

Semi blatant plug here for one of the sites I write for, but all reviews (profession AND non-professional) very welcome at www.trustedplaces.com - there's a dearth of East Dulwich reviews at the moment and it'd be great to hear your opinions on the local cafes, bars etc. I live in ED too and would personally love to be able to read peoples' opinions on my local places...

Hi,

Off the thread slightly...

We took all of our family including kids to the Harvester last night for my Mum in Law's birthday. The Chicken was overcooked and tough, the ribs were disgusting and my rump steak had to be sent back. The hot rolls were perfect, the butter spreadable, and a pint of lager ?2.20!!!

Given that it was an occasion for the mum in law and that the restaurant cope with youngsters we thought it better to go their as it is more of a family atmosphere.

I think it is reasonable as an employer to test drive your staff to ensure they can cope with the customer demand. Pay them for the session, if they cannot cope then explain to them and part company. This might reduce negative comments on forums.

Everybody needs a chance to prove themselves, and I think we need to show this. The final bill was over ?200 for nine people, given that its someones occasion you must not ruin it by complaining, but to close the matter the Eastern European fell in love with my Amex Card resulting in me calling them on leaving the 'Restaurant' and advising the cost of the bill and to stop all subsequent transactions.

In closing I am trying to work out if I am a amateur or proffesional critic.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

The police station is the correct place to make allegations of serious criminal behaviour and not a forum like this. There seems to be a village gossip element that feels it is quite ok to make damaging allegations of, for example, food poisoning not backed up by medical analysis or in this case a sweeping allegation of an about to be committed fraud.

The police don't give a crap about card fraud... try reporting it, they'll refuse to do anything. Therefore I feel quite strongly that public forums like this are a suitable place to spread the message. BUT - only if you have evidence - and in this case, there seems to be none.